• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 What's that black plastic box hanging off the air filter?

Drago

Reaction score
What's that black plastic box thingy hanging off the air filter? It looks like some sort of accumulator, I've removed it and replaced it without the side lobes and block the holes because I needed the room. Just wondering how essential it is and what was the engineer thinking?

Last edited by a moderator:
It comes apart in three big pieces one end attaches to the air filter "snorkel" the other goes to the big hole above the wheel well. I can't tell if I have more or less noise or more or less power. It looks like the engineer saw a big empty space where the turbo was suppose to go and decided to fill in the space with something that looked important.

Intake muffler, gassers have them. Should be a bit better mpg if replaced by pvc and even better if you direct the pvc to the core support for a ram air effect.

Up grade to a large 3-4" PVC and direct it to behind the head lights or the radiator upper support and build some sort of scoop. Obviously dont pull air directly from behind the radiator air flow but find a good opening.

Back