• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 Diesel Engine Tips - Youtube bit

treegump

Romans 3:22-24
Reaction score
Mods - post this wherever:

Saw this online and I don't know how much is true or not - but I know I did a couple of the mods that he did, and will do again if I ever get a hold of a 6.5TD again.

Well its a quick overview and ok but not all that. He high lights the common weak areas but IMO isn't all that accurate on all the reasoning. It takes a little longer to learn the ins and outs of the 6.5 than one 15 minute video. There were improvements almost year by year and significant difference comparing early vs late production engine.

I am not going to cover everything just a few.
1. Open intake element is not the best. The later boxes are better 96 or 97 and later round element filter is the preferred intake.
2. The exhaust should include a down pipe and remove the diesel catalytic converter. Diamond eye not diamond back.
3. PMD died from heat soak after shut down and thermal swings. The OE location isn't that hot while running. Moving to top of intake isn't that much of improvement.
4. There are a fair number of interactions and a good 6.5 build needs to be systematic.

5. He did not talk about radiator cleaning and what temperature to not overheat.

There is more.

The only way to really learn about the 6.5 is go back and forth on a good forum like this one and understand the correct reasoning for things and not take one person's explanation (including mine).

image.jpg Thanx I'm exploring lots of avenues and relocated pmd to fender wall where abs was removed for pro portioning block and harder to start now so looking at lift pump andops going to put in new glow plug relay as I have an extra one pmd was replaced when relocated just like life a learning curve oh also removed EGR and put a plate on intake plugged vacuum lines

Someone posted that on FB also. You can tell he has the understanding of the 6.5 but as Schiker said he just missed on a couple things.

PMD on intake is the worst possible place to put it, IP is cooler than that spot.

It's a good video for someone that just bought a 6.5 yesterday. I would have found benefit from something like this several years back when I was being introduced to the 6.5 world. For those that are more seasoned with the 6.5, it's easy to nit-pick, but he did a pretty good job of an overview for things to hit first, when new to a 6.5, although the title of his video may be a little strong for a brief overview in this magnitude.

I'm glad he made mention of Leroy's harness and called it out, specifically. Thumbs up on that one.

I've had plenty of dealings with his sponsor. I'll lay claim that he has the right guy backing him on this venture, though.

When I watched the video, his voice was familiar, but I couldn't place it. I watched part again this morning and had to open up in YouTube.
Yankeeprepper. I watched some of his videos 6or 7 years ago. He made some good videos that I searched for real quick to link for you guys to see, but it looks like he took them down- how to catch a wild pig (polital video), and some simple how to on water filtration and storage things. He does have good food things, my favorite was his "tacos for fema camp" (remember when fema camps were new). He had some funny stuff. I used the term a**hats from him for about a year.

He never used to do anything about trucks or cars. He started a big network of preppers to link up in areas. Some of my stops on the tool truck route guys would come onto the truck and that's all they would talk about was Yankeeprepper and Nutnfancy.

Amateur hour folks. A mechanical DB2 IP would be a better prepper choice than the finicky and unreliable PMD controlled DS4. Yeah, EMP... You need a MT as well or older cable controlled trans as found in the OBS or the Military surplus blazer/pickup in OBS as well (80's).

Even worse they haven't noticed the intake mounted PMD cooler is out of the frying pan into the fire. The intake the PMD heat sink is bolted to can hit 350 degrees when running at full boost and no intercooler. Then think of all the under hood heat esp after you shut the engine off. At least the IP location has fuel to cool the PMD. Get with modern thinking and mount the PMD on the bumper where it IS cooler. One of our vendors sells a kit for that. Better to just can the DS4 electronics and retrofit a DB2...

Uneducated rant about the vac pump. The location has the least load on the drive belt for the bearings. Complain about the AC compressor location, the unreliable R4 unit, that loads the entire belt drive and requires a stiff spring in the tensioner. Compressor location changed in later years. The Vac pump also tames the belt slap from the AC at idle. With the unreliable electronic vac system the WG opens up for better cruising MPG - something the mechanical WG springs don't do.

Better turbo - got one on it but that slipped their mind over the vac pump rant. Fail! The GMx turbo is worth a good rant. It's the best improvement out there is to get rid of the small GM turbo for an A Team Turbo or HX40II. Again sold by one of our vendors.

Nevermind the cooling system year dependent mods like a better fan (shown), HO water pump, low temp fan clutch and clean radiators. The Dual T-Stat is a waste of money and more excess aftermarket profit for no results.

And still running the unreliable CS-130 alternator. What a shame when a CS-144 runs cooler and is more reliable. Should add that mod to this incomplete non-Bomb proof list.

6-7 years ago that guy had a bunch of videos he made, some of which put to shame the anarchist cook book. He got hounded to make a bunch of videos, I remember people asking him everything from what car to buy, and what brand pants are best. I'm really surprised he ever did any car related video. Most of his stuff was usually spot on, so while we know he left a bunch unmentioned, I will let it slide cuz I know he is an intelligent, and awake individual helping the good side of people.

Extra credit for guys like Leroy that can make a good, informative video, and corvairwild who could make me laugh while doing it. I had guys ask me to make a video on how I change the 2 piece hummer wheel with runflat/bead lock so fast. I tried it a couple times and end up sending the video private just cuz after I did it it was embarrassing how bad it was. I would have to do it like a silent movie playing music in the background and typed words when needed.

Got me to thinking though, do we have a thread in the stickies that is the "everything to do to my 6.2/6.5 To perfect it?

Also what about a thread just for videos links made by members?

Last edited:
I like the idea. Ive been meaning to do something very similar and make a video of the order recommended mods should be done.
I think it has to be one of the most asked questions I get.
Q. "i have a 6.5 truck. What should I do to it to add some HP/TQ and reliability"

My answer is always a long one so it would be good to have a video (or form response). Would save time.

Exactly. Plus YouTube videos on each component you sell will be video instruction for your customers while people searching for a fix would link back to you and the forum.

Then in written form the list could link to the "how to" for that item.

@Pickseed did you install F code gaskets or preferably a F code lower intake when you did an EGR delete? if not, it will puke exhaust into the intake.

Also, get the PMD out of the engine compartment. Intake, fender, firewall, they all suck. Put it in the grille or bumper.

Back