• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.2 turbo heads?

Project G3

Reaction score
I'm building a turbo 6.2 for My 86 K2500 and need advice on what heads to use. I have two sets of heads that I can have rebuilt. Should I use the smaller valve C series 14077162 heads or the large valve J J series 10137567 heads?

Thanks,
Garrett

Depending of the turbo used the 6.2 precups can choke you up. GMx turbos are so restrictive the 6.2 NA precups don't matter. More fuel and a big ATT (A Team Turbo) the small precups spin the mix above the piston so fast it centrifugally separates and can't burn. In short more fuel and big turbo makes smoke on small precups.

I am not clear if the 6.2 precups are a different size than 6.5 turbo precups. I recall reading there was a diameter difference. If so you can have the 6.2 precup opening machined larger: good luck finding a machine shop to handle the inconel they are made of.

On my 6.2 big valve heads the tang that locates the pre cups in the head pockets were on the opposite sides compared to my 93 6.5 heads with the T pre cups.

I kinda milled the 6.2 n/a cups to my *spec*. And felt great doing so. :)

Dropped off the heads yesterday. Going with the larger valve heads and having them install diamond precups. Any other work I should have done?

Valve job? Check for pitting/erosion on the port side of the exhaust valves. Check for cracks between the In/Ex valves. Guides hold up pretty well but worth a check also. Strait edge the decks check for warpage. Usually they're pretty sound if they lived life on a n/a motor.

Back