• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.2 Injector Pump

custodian

Reaction score
I've asked this question on another site, but no answer. Can the injector pump from an 85 6.2 be rotated by hand after removable? It's a Stanadyne. If so, should it be a tight turning or easy turning? The motor turned over by hand (and the starter before it gave out) but I didn't try to start it.

If you're asking if you can turn the main shaft of the IP by hand with it unhooked from everything, then yes you should be able to

Yes, the main shaft. Should it be easy or hard to turn? Just trying to determine if it's any good.

Good to see that You made it over Custodian.
Welcome to thetruckstop.
I do not have enough knowledge on the pumps to make a real correct answer but, it would be My guess that with the pump lines disconnected from the injectors that it should be relatively easy to spin the shaft by hand.

Thanks. I forgot to add that this motor had been sitting for years. I have removed the injector pump.

It should be able to turn over fairly easy. When I would grab an old db pump that sat for years, I would attatch a short fuel hose to the inlet and flex it 90° Upward with a small funnel filled with ATF. Power the fuel solenoid with jumper wires, Then use a small cordless drill and spin the shaft unil it pumped the ATF out. The atf would lube it well and rinse any contamination out that wasn’t imbedded to the interior. Only used about 1 cup (like cooking cup) of atf.

If it came out looking bad or was harder to turn, I sprayed carb cleaner into to pump with it hanging face down in a vice until it was full and let it sit there a while. I would turn the shaft only a couple revolutions then drain what was left and then do the atf thing.

This started from a ave to make it work’ situation and not sure the carb cleaner is a good idea. It worked that time but doesn’t mean it might not shorten life somehow.
Input from one of you folks that like to rebuild them would be good if there is drawbacks to this.

Custodian, Although not related to this ip question you ought to check out the stickies. Tons of great info there. And if you get a chance to post some pics of what you’re working on, we all like show and tell regardless of shiny and new or drug out if a ditch upside down.

This is the pump. I did download the PDF for the IP. Lots of info on here. It now turns freely by hand, used the AT fluid and turned it until it turned freely. THANKS.

Attachments

• 20191228_121458[1].jpg
    20191228_121458[1].jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Cool. Make sure to run a heavy dose of fuel lube additive wether you run stanandyne, 2 stroke, or whatever for the first 3 tankfulls.

I have the 6.2 out of the truck. I removed the heads, block is in short block form. Make me an offer and come and get it. I have all the parts that I removed.

Back