• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.2 / 6.5 Valve cover leaking issue & solutions.

Will L.

Reaction score
Ok, only people that have owned a 6.2/6.5 and people that slipped on the oil and fell in the parking lot where a 6.5 was at understand this issue.

Folks use cork gaskets, permetex only, both, and Leroy came up with a new type of gasket that he recommends a thin layer of sealant in there.

Also Leroy @Burning oil of Leroydiesel.com came up with a “valve cover girdle & stud kit” that is one piece of steel that you paint or powdercoat yourself to match your look. I can’t see them on his website but here is a pic and a video showing him doing install.
59FBA193-918A-463C-BED2-5562E2F95F8F.png

And here is a picture and link to @quadstar87 Quadstartuning.com who made a 3 piece unit of stainless steel and studs.

14AF7D66-0113-4152-825C-B49627856B32.png
Link: https://quadstartuning.com/collections/all?page=6

So my question is: WHO has used them so far? Results? I have done enough of these engines to wish and once even got a price on having longer injector lines made to avoid the valve covers. Guys in dealerships had this issue all the time too. Right now there is a guy with 500 miles on a p400 with a leaky cover - roller rockers had them removed and new ones leak. I want to install my covers n e and never look back. I used just Right stuff forever but had fights in the past.
If anyone knows of any other options, or has bought these and can give input, please speak up.

I've done 3 engines, 2 never leaked and one did. I can't remember if I let "The Right Stuff" set longer on some of the installs.

Both of those fixes look pretty sweet.

I was on Quadstar Tuning the other day and I seen the stud and girdle kits in there. Looked impressive to Me.
I would also like to see what @Burning oil Leroys set looks like too.
A couple of pics would be nice.

After watching the videos.
If a person will be using Leroys valve cover gaskets between the head and the valve cover, then, they would need to order two sets of valve cover gaskets in order to have enough gaskets to seal in the oil and also another set to lift the girdle so that it properly pinched the balve covers in the narrow areas.
If just using RTV sealant to hold in the oil, then a set of gaskets would need to be ordered to give the girdle the proper pinch on the cover.
At least thats the way I seed it in the vodeo.
@Burning oil maybe You could clarify My information.

I haven’t used the girdle, but it is my next step. I’ve got the leak down to a sporadic drip, where previously it was a fist sized slot everytime I stopped. When I was hauling the the log rounds earlier this spring, I left a trail of spots going all the way up the hill on the road alongside my property.

Ok, only people that have owned a 6.2/6.5 and people that slipped on the oil and fell in the parking lot where a 6.5 was at understand this issue.

Folks use cork gaskets, permetex only, both, and Leroy came up with a new type of gasket that he recommends a thin layer of sealant in there.

Also Leroy @Burning oil of Leroydiesel.com came up with a “valve cover girdle & stud kit” that is one piece of steel that you paint or powdercoat yourself to match your look. I can’t see them on his website but here is a pic and a video showing him doing install.
View attachment 75571

And here is a picture and link to @quadstar87 Quadstartuning.com who made a 3 piece unit of stainless steel and studs.

View attachment 75572
Link: https://quadstartuning.com/collections/all?page=6

So my question is: WHO has used them so far? Results? I have done enough of these engines to wish and once even got a price on having longer injector lines made to avoid the valve covers. Guys in dealerships had this issue all the time too. Right now there is a guy with 500 miles on a p400 with a leaky cover - roller rockers had them removed and new ones leak. I want to install my covers n e and never look back. I used just Right stuff forever but had fights in the past.
If anyone knows of any other options, or has bought these and can give input, please speak up.
You had previously posted claims that you had sealed up over 200 engines using Permatex The Right Stuff only. Other posts here saying you need to hammer the valve covers flat on a steel table. Others saying to just buy new valve covers. I have done all of these and they have always leaked.

I have done a ton, and depending how well I can straighten the cover when it comes off is wether I replace it or not. But even with the amount I have done one still slips by every now and then.

There’s a guy that recently picked up a new p400 and had a set of roller rockers installed before they dropped it in his hummer. That is what sparked this thread was his leak and he ran across the one from Quadstar. Ive mentioned to a few people years back about the idea for some type of hold down, as well as the idea of cast aluminum covers being made- that would be the ideal item imo but costing a bazillion dollars probably won’t help.

Yes, however finding both covers is a trick right now. He found a place that had the mia one, and they are planning to continue making them. But for now the one that hold your cdr is out of stock. Don’t everyone panic and buy one driving the cost up! GEP is still building new optimizers for another 15 years and maybe more. Just stock is low from the supply chain thing and they will be back to normal in a few months.

On his, since it was new in crate, they carefully removed it with razor knife by the sounds of it but still had the hiccup.

Back