• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.2, 6.5 hybrid?

shadetree

Reaction score
bought a 95 w/sick 6.5td. (rod) lookin at a running 6.2 that was rebuilt about 4k ago. the ? do i need to worry about piston oil cooling w/ added heat from turbo. thanks

Make sure to install an egt gauge with the probe in the exhaust manifold. Keep egts below 1100 degrees to prevent cracking of the pistons and don't advance timing too much. You will need to use timing cover and timing set from 6.5 so that there is a pickup for the reluctor ring. You will also need to use the 6.5 balancer as the snout is shorter to allow for the thicker crank timing gear.

I would recommend using a set of ARP head studs and 6.5 head gaskets. They are a little bigger so use the thinner ones to keep compression normal. Also I would recommend using 6.5L heads, smaller valves for less chance of cracking due to extra turbo pressure. I run the same combo in my truck and was able to produce 303.1HP and 590.6 ft. lbs. This of course had a few extra mods but the block, heads, and rotating assemble stayed in tact and it is my daily driver. Great combo, good luck.

Heath GL4 prom, turbo-master, 4" turbo back, x-pipe, HO-Injectors, PMD-Isolator, aFe Stage 2 intake w/ S&B cone filter, twin 16" electric fans, TDC offset -1.94, one off propane injection system I helped design for the 6.5, Snow/Heath water methanol injection, ZEX diesel nitrous system, Comp-u-shift tranny controller, and eliminated the vacuum pump. I think that is about it. I am still working on trying to get 350 hp and 650 ft. lbs.

590 lbft of torque at the wheels is nothing to laugh at. That would be nice in my 1/2 ton:D Keep pushing the limits.:thumbsup:

Heath GL4 prom, turbo-master, 4" turbo back, x-pipe, HO-Injectors, PMD-Isolator, aFe Stage 2 intake w/ S&B cone filter, twin 16" electric fans, TDC offset -1.94, one off propane injection system I helped design for the 6.5, Snow/Heath water methanol injection, ZEX diesel nitrous system, Comp-u-shift tranny controller, and eliminated the vacuum pump. I think that is about it. I am still working on trying to get 350 hp and 650 ft. lbs.

Dude, you are my hero. I want a dually with all your mods so i can put the Old man's 2003 ram in its place

How do you like the Compushift controller ? What made you use that over the trucks ECM ?

hey guys need help fast , one of our tow trucks lost the bottom end and need to find out about a 6.2 or 6.5 short block .. i'd like to find a 6.2 with the use of a turbo. its a 97 k3500 ?? i know there r some out of state but i need something quick in minnesota or w isconsin.. bill 612 328 2169

If you are going to run a DS4 injection system I would run the 6.5 heads and injectors and use the fuel lines from the 6.5.

The engine will run the same as the 6.5.

Been done many times.

Good luck

hey guys need help fast , one of our tow trucks lost the bottom end and need to find out about a 6.2 or 6.5 short block .. i'd like to find a 6.2 with the use of a turbo. its a 97 k3500 ?? i know there r some out of state but i need something quick in minnesota or w isconsin.. bill 612 328 2169
Personal message sent

If you are going to run a DS4 injection system I would run the 6.5 heads and injectors and use the fuel lines from the 6.5.

The engine will run the same as the 6.5.

Been done many times.

Good luck

I have found several 6.2L military take outs in my price range and the guy is willing to run the engine and compression test it in front of me. can I run the DS4, intake, and turbo from the 6.5 with out swapping the heads..... this way I can just drop in the engine and drive my truck while I rebuild my engine.

I ruined a set of injector lines because I didn't know the 6.2 and 6.5 injector angle is different,lines must match the head. I'm running 6.2 heads with the turbo manifolds,the injectors are pretty close to the manifold on the turbo side.

I ruined a set of injector lines because I didn't know the 6.2 and 6.5 injector angle is different,lines must match the head. I'm running 6.2 heads with the turbo manifolds,the injectors are pretty close to the manifold on the turbo side.

did you use short body injectors

Yes,they were exactly the same as the 6.5 turbo ones,the pintles in the 6.2 injectors are no good though. I could take a picture if you want to see how close they are. :coal: .

Back