• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.0 vs 8.1

huckleberry

Reaction score
I have a 2000 2500 with the 6.0 and a 2001 2500HD with the 8.1. I do not tow alot and need to get rid of one of these. Any advice on which to keep and why?

Keep the 8.1. From my experiences the 8.1 will bring better resale value since there not made anymore. Also, from what I saw, The 8.1 is worth the extra power for maybe 1-2 MPG difference..

There is no MPG difference. They both suck, at around 10-11mpg. I don't need the extra power, but I guess the resale should be considered.

i would say keep the 8.1 we had a 6.0 in are 2500 suburban wasnt a big fan of it

i would say keep the 8.1 we had a 6.0 in are 2500 suburban wasnt a big fan of it

What didn't you like about it? Other than replacing the manifold bolts, I have not had any problems with the engine, and it has plenty of power to pull the 6000# that I pull.

Keep the 8.1 those things are hot since they have the ally, 4.10 and discontinued motor.

They actually are faster and tow a little better than a Dmax but at the expense of extra fuel.

Keep the 8.1 those things are hot since they have the ally, 4.10 and discontinued motor.

They actually are faster and tow a little better than a Dmax but at the expense of extra fuel.

My stock LBZ seems alot stronger than the 8.1 I had...But ever truck feels different..

Well ya the LBZ is stronger but then again at the expense of fuel. THose things suck down some diesel.

My 8.1 has the Ally and 3.73 gears, about 12mpg, with light loads.
It's more fun to drive than the LBZ, which weighs 10,000lbs with my bed, and gets about 18mpg.
Diesel here is running at least $.50 higher than gas, so by my math, it's cheaper to drive the gasser, although if I had my work bed on the 8.1, I don't know what the mileage would be.

My 8.1 has the Ally and 3.73 gears, about 12mpg, with light loads.
It's more fun to drive than the LBZ, which weighs 10,000lbs with my bed, and gets about 18mpg.
Diesel here is running at least $.50 higher than gas, so by my math, it's cheaper to drive the gasser, although if I had my work bed on the 8.1, I don't know what the mileage would be.
Only one way to find out stick on there and drive for a little while and if you don't like it just change them back out

Back