• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

5.7 vs 6.0

treegump

Romans 3:22-24
Reaction score
I don't doubt that it's been discussed before, but what are your opinions on the motors, specifically when in a 3/4HD truck? We all know the disadvantages of diesels (pure cost), and the advantages (power w/ decent mpg). If someone were looking for an affordable 3/4 ton, 4x4, gas truck, what would you prefer?

(Back story on this: need to get rid of my duramax due to the payment (It's at $19k now). Just can't reason that cost now - even though I'm getting 17mpg highway. So, I'm between a ford ranger or a 3/4 ton chevy. I know that if I got a 1/2 ton I'd be looking at nearly the same fuel mileage as a 3/4 ton, and I'd be tempted on loading it as heavy as a 3/4ton. (Heck, I load my 3/4 like it's a 1 ton). So it's either go big and cheap, or go small and cheap (ranger) (and keep after it's paid off for off-roading fun) till I can pay off debt and pay for another diesel.)

No comparison really. The 6.0L is ALOT more powerful than a 5.7L could ever hope to be stock VS stock. The 6.0L needs more RPM's to do the work, but once it's wound up hang on. The 5.7L is a good engine and been around for a long time, but theres a reason GM dropped it and went with the LS engines. Heck, I'd stack a stock 4.8L up against a stock 5.7L VORTEC. If your wanting milage and weight carrying ability, look for one of the 1500HD's or the regular 2500 series truck with the 6.0L in it. They came with 3.73 gears instead of 4.10's, no body lift, a heavier frame than the 1500, 8 lug wheels, and a 9.5" semi floater rear axle. They get 1-2 MPG better milage than the 2500HD counterpart does, but can still handle a good bit of weight. Onluy down side is most of them were pretty heavily optioned out when sold.

Our 1500hd has 4.10s.

6.0l is a good engine, only reason I would buy a 5.7l is for an early tbi to run on propane.

source unknown

My 2000 SCLB Chev 2500 (8600 gvw) had the 6.0, 4l80 and 3.73 gear. It was stout. Had it's quirks but it was better than previous 5.7s hands down.
2500HDs w/6.0 IIRC all had 4:10s after 2002. Maybe even all after 2000

My 01 suburban 4wd 6.0 gets better mileage than my buddys 2wd 5.7 with more weight in mine. His is pristine with oil changes, fuel filter changes drivin nicely,etc. I beat the crap out of mine and when I remember it gets oil changes at 15,000 miles. If I miss it it goes to 30,000. Frequently hits 85 mph and tows around 7,000 lbs monthly. 190,000 on the clock. a/c compressor blew up at 150,000 miles. new belt at that time and an idler pulley shortly afterwards. New Battery every 4 years (normal for our heat here). Sunroof hangs up once in awhile. all 4 window regulators went out around 175,000 miles (aftermarket ones SUCK use AC Delco only). Fuel pump assy at 185,000 miles. 1 set of front and rear pads so far. Off road only jumped it twice. Had it on two wheels 3 times. When I say beat I am telling you beat hard. I will not hesitate to buy another.

The 3 fleets that I have good friends running all show huge differences in life span 6.0 over 5.7.

exiting soap box now...

Test drive an 02 2500ls with the 6.0, 4x4, ecsb, with 175k miles on it and it was sluggish. Pedal to the floor and it didn't want to move. I passed. (Other reasons too, including check engine light, but decided to step away..)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Test drive an 02 2500ls with the 6.0, 4x4, ecsb, with 175k miles on it and it was sluggish. Pedal to the floor and it didn't want to move. I passed. (Other reasons too, including check engine light, but decided to step away..)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

The check engine light must have been something important because I can assure you a stock 6.0L will hang with a 5.7L with a cam, headers, and some other goodies. My uncle has an 05 3500 SRW with the 6.0L, and it will get out of it's own way no problem. Not to mention he's over 300K on the clock, and the closest to engine work it has had done was a water pump. Theres just no comparison between a 6.0L and 5.7L. It's no DURAMAX, but it will move along nicely. And they can still tow a good amount if your not afraid to turn some RPM's.

Well, it had concrete set in the ribs of the bed liner, evidence of a passenger front collision, entire bed was scratched up but the bed was the worst, and it appeared the PO installed his back window himself because the caulking was EVERYWHERE! (and broken glass was still sitting on the top of the back seat). Also, if I left my foot on the floor, while accelerating, I could feel the pedal/or truck pulsate, as if it wanted to go faster, but wouldn't or couldn't. I drove an '08 and maybe an '05 (back doors opened all the way to the bed) with 6.0's and long beds with dark rooms on the back, and they MOVED... I couldn't imagine there being that big of a difference between the years when it came to acceleration/power..

Pretty sure most all of the 6.0's from 99-06 were right around 300HP except for the VORTEC MAX in the 1500 which was 345HP. I don't think they upped the 6.0L HP until 07 or 08 when they came out with the 6 speed trans and VVT.

I have owned multiple 5.3 and all performed flawlessly. They are gutless with a decent load.

I'm in agreement with Marty. I've had 2 5.3s. Good but they bog down quite a bit under a heavy load. I had 6 adults in the Tahoe last year and I was wishing I had the Dmax

Sent from my SCH-I535

I owned a Chevy 2007 NBS 6.0 gasser 6 speed Ext. Cab LB without the VVT timing and overall I liked the truck but in town stop and go, freeway slow and go sucked. Keeping with slow and go freeway you needed to keep the rpm in the 3000+ and that was a little unnerving and fuel mileage suffered at about 9-10 with 12 average.

What I found over the 5 years I owned it was the motor was detuned from idle to around 2000rpm. to pass emissions (Black Bear tuning site) The motor came to life around 3500rpm and up, when it hit 4000rpm it was a raped ape. I have read the VVT motor had better fuel numbers and at the time I bought the one without the VVT, few less moving parts to go wrong. I never towed with it but had a consistent load of around 1600lbs in the bed.

Not sure how long GM used this muffler/exhaust combination on these trucks the muffler was the size of a 5 gallon bucket and from the Y back it was a 3” exhaust and had a nice low tone rumble to it and overall there was a lot room under the hood for working on it.

Good luck on your purchase my 07 was 6 months short of payoff with 50k on the clock before I bought my D-max and now my “unnerving” issues are gone (still have others), told the wife the diesel would slow me down and still trying to explain the criminal speeding citation that was dropped to civil citation.

The check engine light must have been something important because I can assure you a stock 6.0L will hang with a 5.7L with a cam, headers, and some other goodies. My uncle has an 05 3500 SRW with the 6.0L, and it will get out of it's own way no problem. Not to mention he's over 300K on the clock, and the closest to engine work it has had done was a water pump. Theres just no comparison between a 6.0L and 5.7L. It's no DURAMAX, but it will move along nicely. And they can still tow a good amount if your not afraid to turn some RPM's.
How does mileage compare....guess if you have to ask you can't afford either. Lol

Back