• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4x4 Chevy 6.5 turbo diesel van project.

consaka

Reaction score
(waving little flag) I hereby claim this tiny space for people to watch the strange stuff I do on an old 1983 van I inherited from my grandfather.
My grandfather ordered this Chevy van new in 1983. The only new vehicle he ever bought I believe. His goal was to retire and drive around the country sightseeing and helping some buddies build churches and schools and whatnot. Some maranatha friends I think. To that end he bought a barebones passenger window van and removed all the rear seats. Mind you he was a logger first and in his 40's went back to school and both him and my grandmother got teaching degrees. I point this out because he was NOT a carpenter. Regardless he had someone weld together a metal frame for a back seat that made into a bed. Still there and a little more comfortable than sleeping on rocks naked. he then built two cabinets for each side. One shorter than the other went from the bed to the middle of the sliding door. The other went from the bed all the way to the driver's seat. It had a little sink and a hand pump for water that of course mostly never worked. He built all of this himself and was quite proud of it. Any serious accident and we will all be dead from flying fragments of stuff.
He wired in this and that over the years with the regular attention to detail that you could expect from a half blind farmer. I took out one cabinet because it was just too cramped for 4 of us. I also added a fridge that runs on an inverter. I also added a total of 4 batteries. 3 to start and 3 to run the fridge. yeah yeah I know they should be deep cycle but they aren't. They work mostly.
When I got the van the engine was a 6.2 with 222,143? miles on it. It sat in front of a stock 700r4. The dealer had told him never to tow with it. He claimed 25 mpg when it was new. He isn't or wasn't ever a mechanic or carpenter so new meant he drove 50 mph in a 55 zone. Remember them were the days of 55mph limits. So yeah he probably had no trouble getting 25mpg. The only thing that had ever been done on that van was the injection pump had been replaced after some attendant(cant pump your own gas in Oregon) at Cenex filled it with regular unleaded.
We got it in 1995, the year I graduated from college and immediately used it quite a bit. So handy to drive till you are tired then stop and crawl in the back and take a nap. But there were some problems. Fully loaded semis could pass us on the grades - going up. 140HP just wasn't up to a fully loaded van that included my two toolboxes I carry everywhere. Then I begin to notice a knocking sound. It seemed like a faint knocking sound until you drove next to a concrete divider. Then it sounded like your engine was about to blow up.
My solution was to put a turbocharged 6.5 in it. which worked great for a year till one of the cheapo pistons I bought decided to melt itself to the cylinder wall and then split that same wall when it no longer fit. All on flat ground cruising. Engine wasn't even fully hot yet.
Replaced that engine with a Peninsular design marine engine and new junkyard block. Wow the power was great. Just no oil pressure when hot at idle. Well that was 65 to 80 thousand miles ago and its time to fix that problem. I got a new engine on the stand being built just like it only this time I'm using some coatings to help control and isolate the heat where it is supposed to be.

Oh and some other things happened in there too. That new engine with near 300 some horsepower didn't like my transmission any more. Brand new transmission with very little towing only last 2 years. So I put a 4L80E in with a PCS controller. I liked the controller so well I got to be a dealer for them and sell it on my website. After that nice transmission went in the rear axle decided it didn't like the engine and transmission ganging up on it so it busted a few teeth off that made driving very noisy. Well I hate those cheesy 1/2 ton crap axles with the bearing that wears a groove directly on the axle so it knows where to snap off. dumbest design I ever saw. So I got an 14 bolt full floater out of a 1 ton 1979 van. Saved up and put a arb locker in it.
Some years later I ran into some guys that claimed they could put a 4x4 front axle in it for a reasonable price. They were wrong and I have been fixing it and teaching myself 4x4 suspension basics and fixing it again ever since. They took a spring from the front of a regular van and cut it in half. they stuck each half between the axle and the frame. Then they cross the drag link and the panhard bar so those formed an X shape. The axle was located by what looked like some kind of 3 link and they told me it was a 3 link but really it was a radius arm on the drivers side and a single link on the passenger side. Rode like crap and blew all the seals out of the steering box on the way home. I got some ford f250 spring buckets and springs from the junkyard and made them put a real suspension under it and made them put the panhard bar as close to the drag link length and parallel as possible. it was drivable then. I have since put a 4 link under it with cheap coilovers. I have plans to get more travel out of the coilovers which means I have to rebuild all the brackets. but that is another story. Oh and I did put a nice limited slip in the front when I rebuilt that because the axle they gave was pretty much rusted junk. And that is where we sit today..

These pictures aren't very good but you can see how they mounted the panhard bar and the draglink and springs.

Attachments

• Axle Drivers side view of pitman arm.jpg
    Axle Drivers side view of pitman arm.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Axle Front drivers side view.jpg
    Axle Front drivers side view.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Axle Front passenger side view.jpg
    Axle Front passenger side view.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 22
Nice closeup of the pitting you get with a cheapo FOA coilover shock. Apparently FOA stands for First OverAll in the trash bin. And no they have no interest in making it right. Basically there is chrome missing and or it is thin enough it rusts. The other shock is fine but I have no use for a business that will not take care of its customers.

Attachments

• coiloverclose.jpg
    coiloverclose.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 10
I fully believe the 25 mpg. The better diesel fuel back then was a huge difference.

Way cool about the family rig. Cant let that go. The fact that he fixed it up how he needed it and you are doing the same wins extra points.

Nice scuff job on the pistons and the cool offset rod!

That's a nice Rat Rod van going 4x4 and all like that! Rat Rod: From the fan, engine, trans, to and including the rear diff. The Rear Diff is the ONLY thing I haven't had to mess with on Patch other than all 3 oil seals.

Absolutely carnage thread material with the piston melt down and rod!

Reactions: NVW
Nice scuff job on the pistons and the cool offset rod!

You like that eh? Those pistons were crap. How much force does it take to make an offset rod like that? if it is already bending then how close was I to instant disaster? That rod really bothers me because with all things being equal it should not have bent like that. It looks like the main side may have been kinked already or something. I dunno, I have stared at it for quite some time trying to figure that out. Maybe the rod was in backwards? I can't imagine doing something like that. I know how they go. Now I am wishing I took pictures when I took it apart all those years ago. Back then all I had was a regular film camera, nothing digital.

That's a nice Rat Rod van going 4x4 and all like that! Rat Rod: From the fan, engine, trans, to and including the rear diff. The Rear Diff is the ONLY thing I haven't had to mess with on Patch other than all 3 oil seals.
Absolutely carnage thread material with the piston melt down and rod!

What Axle does Patch have in it? If it's the 8 bolt 1/2 ton stuff you are lucky. If it is a full floater than those are already tougher than nails.

Welcome. Need pics of the interior of the one off camper.

Nothing impressive there for sure. BUT pictures are coming. I am going to try to do a walk around video and a drive video. It's a little noisy so might have to do a voiceover for the inside stuff.

You'll have a serious backwoods boonies camper van for far cheaper than that company in Utah converts Ford and GM 4x4 diesel vans.

Oh yeah for sure. I think they only do new vans too. And their prices are insane.
I guess I should update. Got the long block put together and discovered I have the wrong waterpump backing plate. I have the old one and need the new one.

For the refer, might want to consider a multi fuel unit and plumb in a gas line to lighten the 12 VDC requirements. There are also ones that are triple fuel (110 VAC, gas, and 12 VDC). Personally, would only use the 12 VDC mode while driving though.

For the batteries, if they are wet cells, consider AGM's on the next purchase. Especially if the coach bank vents to the inside of the van.

For the refer, might want to consider a multi fuel unit and plumb in a gas line to lighten the 12 VDC requirements. There are also ones that are triple fuel (110 VAC, gas, and 12 VDC). Personally, would only use the 12 VDC mode while driving though.
For the batteries, if they are wet cells, consider AGM's on the next purchase. Especially if the coach bank vents to the inside of the van.

I would love a gas refer. However there are some problems with that. First off there is cost. Those things are really expensive. The second problem is I would need to cut (pretty sure) some vent holes in the side of the van. I absolutely abhor body work and anything that would mean cutting a hole in the side of my van. The refer I use is the 120 dollar $110 unit from Home Depot. I usually run it off the inverter and I plug in at most campgrounds. Plugging in means plugging in the 35 amp battery charger. My inverter is a 1000 amp modified sine but I recently got a 1000 amp pure sine for a killer price.

As for Batteries, yeah I am looking for a good price on some AGM or better yet some Lithium. I want to make some sturdy brackets and get those mounted UNDER the van. Lithium to save weight but also to be able to mount any orientation. AGM can mount any orientation too and that is nice as well. If I could mount them passenger side underneath I could keep the starter wires shorter and shift the weight to the light side of the vehicle. 6 lead acid batteries on the driver side with the cabinetry inside on the driver side tends to make the driver side a couple hundred pounds heavier. Also the center of gravity would be lowered a little with the batteries underneath. I'd love the extra under hood space the battery would free up as well. So if anyone knows some killer cheap prices on batteries just let me know. Might have to get one of those Tesla wall batteries. I bet those are spendy.

Yes a gas refer will need to vent the heat back outside and preferably use outside air for the burner element.

Going lithium is a great way to go, especially seeing as the van has a long life ahead of it. And at the same time, going lithium will take a bit of homework so that the cells charge properly while not overheating and killing the alternator (presuming they will charge off of the alternator when possible).

Besides just the car mfr companies like tesla who have had rigs go up in flames, a couple people I know incorporated Li-on to their rigs. Build an exterior compartment that will contain a fire. It will need ventilation for normal use but intall thermal melt tabs that keep them open and auto close (like use of springs) if they melt.

A headache,yes, but well worth it. You'll need a battery storage place anyways, might as well do it right.

With @Will L. love of Evans and alternate refrigerants due to fire danger I am simply surprised at any Lithium endorsements. Maybe expand some more of the serious fire containment needed for them?

When they light off it's impressive, quick, burns hot with a directed flame like a torch, and not something you want to be in the cabin of an airplane around.

OTH the RV adsorption fridges have a great reputation of exploding or bursting into flames from the crappy construction Norcold and Dometic have used for the past ~20 years. 2 class action lawsuits later and Norcold is making thicker boilers. (Unk what Dometic is doing.) The main problem is letting the boilers run wild with no thermal controls that ruin the anti corrosion agents in the refrigerant mix. Aftermarket has stepped up with thicker boiler tube designs and another 'control the boiler temp' explained and part of a cure here: https://www.arprv.com/

Last edited:
That was an awesome display of abuse of a battery. You can do that with lead acid batteries too. You know make them explode and from all accounts it is pretty darn impressive as well.
But yeah I would create a ventilated box for them under the van. Keeping them cool is critical as is charging them properly. I am not completely sure what the charging requirements are though or what is considered a good charger for them. I would use a proper 110 charger if I had to. Just run it off the inverter if necessary. Pretty sure they make some 12 volt lithium chargers though for solar applications.
For the moment though I am more concerned about finding parts like the throttle brackets for a 6.2 manual db2 pump that I can modify for the dual thermostat crossover. :) But if anyone has a good source for Lithium or AGM at a decent price let me know.

Back