• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4L80E

Turk2232

Reaction score
I have an 06 Chevy 3500 6 liter 2 wheel drive with 4l80e. What inside a junkyard will fit my truck

I just put $2,700 in this transmission August 2017 from certified I thought the tranny never shifted correctly it only lasted 20,000 miles started shifting funny and then went wacko. There's a little bit of metal in the pan and I would like to rebuild it myself. Should I get a new torque converter what kit would you suggest? I pull a skidloader everywhere with this truck. I'm thinking aftermarket transmission cooler as well. And I'm thinking about that shift correction kit.

1st thing is find out what failed. To many transmissions get rebuilt, the root problem is never found, and the rebuild fails. They just say its a pos trans and needs a rebuild when in reality there was a problem that caused it. As to parts, I like transtar. They carry top name parts from vendors like alto, borg warner, raybestos, and the like. Yes, you needa converter. The converter is normally the 1st thing to pickup debris because fluid doesn't flow through it like the rest of the trans. I would do a billet piston stock stall converter, a rebuild kit with all new gaskets, seals, and soft parts, blue plate or alto red frictions(I'm not a fan of kolene coated steels), transgo shift correction kit, 34 element stator, most likely a new internal harness, psm assembly, solenoids, and any other parts would be dependant on what you find once you're inside. 1st thing is get it apart to see if its worth spending anything on or not. As cheap as 4l80e's are, I wouldn't spend much on one with hard parts damage.

Any 4l80e/4l85e from behind a 99+ LS engine. You need to make sure the bellhousing has themounting hole at the 12 o clock position since you have a 6.0l. The 4l80/85e is very interchangeable, just remember what year it was in case you need parts for it later as there was a few internal changes for parts supplers through the years. One from a 2500 suburban with an 8.1l or duramax van would be the 4l85e with all the best parts.

Thank you very much I sure appreciate it. I just now join this site. Would you be willing to accept Paypal payment in working with me 4 questions I'm going to have while I rebuild this. I have checked the junkyard for a decent smelling transmission with no luck. And I just am not up to trusting nobody to build it for 2700 bucks or 1400 again. I got this transmission pulled out so I can start on it tomorrow and it wouldn't even be a few days before I would get the parts in. Perhaps I could send you my phone number

4l85e came in 2500 burb's/avalanche's from 01-06 with the 8.1l, and duramax vans from 06-09.

Yes and no. The 99 most likely will not have the mounting bolt hole at the 12 o clock position meaning you'll only have 5 bolts in instead of 6. Also if you ever need parts for it in the future, there was ALOT of inprovements mid year 99, then again around 03 GM made another round of changes. I personnally would stick to looking for a 4l80e from behind an LS if it was mine.

Yes and no. The 99 most likely will not have the mounting bolt hole at the 12 o clock position meaning you'll only have 5 bolts in instead of 6. Also if you ever need parts for it in the future, there was ALOT of inprovements mid year 99, then again around 03 GM made another round of changes. I personnally would stick to looking for a 4l80e from behind an LS if it was mine.
Thanks, I wasn't sure. Reverse is out of mine so I may just look for a reman and go that route

Back