• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4L80E Torque Converter Mounting Pad Spacing?

Manny1500HD

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Silverado 1500HD with the LQ4 6.0L Iron Block, i recently swapped my original 4L80E for a diesel because my the old trans a lot of the hard parts had serious overheating on the surface with just surface cracking and i lost reverse gear. i sent the diesel trans out to get rebuilt because I had already brought the stage 2 rebuild kit from Jakes

Drove it for 2,000 miles before i had a overheating issue going uphill in serious snowy conditions and put my pressure gauge and line pressure was low 120psi so i pulled it out sent it back to get check the trans builder locally in Cali, told me the converter was bad and the changed the temp sensor and tcc solenoid
and pressure control. I got my converter rebuilt.

Trans is installed and realized the spacing was 0.1735 and i heard that not to go over 3/16 which is 0.1875 so i am 0.014 thousands under 3/16. Should i get some washers to put between the mounting pads and the flex plate? I have the flat flex plate not the dished. I'll be giving Jakes a call tomrrow to see what they recommend, kinda in a rush because Friday I got a doc appointment I have to be at, kind of don't want to drive 70 miles in my 67 beetle

Gave Jake's Performance a call they told me that the "sweet spot" is 0.160. So I'm good now. I guess this thread can be helpful for others wondering what to do. they told me if it were to be more than 3/16 of a inch they put flat washers about 0.040/0.060 thick washers between the converter mounting pad and the flex plate, if your concerned about possible weak points because of the spacer

Maybe just go with a grade 8 washer? not sure since I don't need a washer. Maybe the other people on this forum can chime in on this.

Heres an update I got my transmission fully installed today poured in a gallon of trans fluid is all it took so that tells me the transmission guy didn't full take it apart to see what was the issue with my transmission

I started it up and watch my pressure gauge slowly go up to about 55psi then BAM! drop to 3psi. i check fluid and its got fluid for sure. i rev it and highest it gets to is bout 50psi. DAMNNNN then i just leave shut the damn truck off and leave it alone was beyond pissed at this point 3RD TIME now the transmission guy "messed up"

I plug in my obd2 scanner and it gives me pressure manifold code P1810 I have NO REVERSE, ANY OF THE DRIVE GEARS. Jesus I'M having a friend of mines call the trans guy and tell him whatsup because if i get ahold of him words can't even explain what I'm going to tell him.

Plus I'm not pulling the damn transmission out this time i waited wayy to long about month and a week till he got my trans the 2nd time and now the 3rd time? HOW MUCH longer till he gets it right?. I was told he changed the TCC Sel and supposedly the Transmission Pressure Control Sel, my guess he pulled a used one out of another trans

For anyone curious as how to my NIGHTMARE Situation started heres the link to the original thread.

It takes a couple tries or more to fill a transmission with oil. The Torque Converter turns low oil levels into foam or something. Fill drop into drive and you are out of oil, no gears available, in less than one block. Fill again and same thing. Finally it gets enough oil dumped in and works fine. I am not there but this is a possibility with "why so little oil added" and suddenly no pressure. But the dipstick does read low or "dry" if it needs more oil with no gears available.

Last transmission, 4L80E, I had rebuilt was a local shop here: $1100 and they pulled it out and put it back in. Inflation may have raised their price some since.

So i went ahead and double checked that it had trans fluid at the proper level today for 10mins before leaving to class. I went through the gears then back in park. Added a quart and half or so while idling. and its right below the Hot level mark the second from the bottom. I put it back in reverse gave a lil tap and moved very slowly, but the line pressure didn't even get up to 30psi and idling its literally like 1 psi or so its just right at the mark for 0psi.

Shake my head.......... I take it back to him for low line pressure and now he returns it with no line pressure.

@WarWagon I spent $3,000 into this transmission... This is what I get for $3,000, next time I'm rebuilding it myself or just having Jake's build me one.

Last edited:
It takes a couple tries or more to fill a transmission with oil. The Torque Converter turns low oil levels into foam or something. Fill drop into drive and you are out of oil, no gears available, in less than one block. Fill again and same thing. Finally it gets enough oil dumped in and works fine. I am not there but this is a possibility with "why so little oil added" and suddenly no pressure. But the dipstick does read low or "dry" if it needs more oil with no gears available.

Last transmission, 4L80E, I had rebuilt was a local shop here: $1100 and they pulled it out and put it back in. Inflation may have raised their price some since.

I believe in adding company name each time for others that are in that area in the future or if Manny or someone near needs to know a trustworthy shop.

Manny- THREE GRAND and you did r&r ?!?! Tell that dude you are bringing him the truck and he can r&r or pay your labor rates. Then they can deal with their own failure to operate issues.
Remember a shop is like any other business and they might have someone doing it that they decide to fire at the end if the month. If talking with the owner and he says HE did it himself- then let him inkw you prefer letting someone correct their mistakes without involving a lawyer and the local news crew when possible.
Sometimes getting half money back and walking away is best you will come out with...

@Will L.

I would name the shop but the connection to this transmission builder is through a diesel mechanic friend of mines. He told me "His guy is good never had issues with him"

I asked my friend the other day what's the name of his shop and he told me he doesn't work for anyone he does it out of his own shop. Heart dropped when I heard him say that. I his word that his guy is good.

$3,000 is what i paid the guy to rebuild my transmission. I have a Jakes Performance stage 2 rebuild kit that i had the trans guy use for a rebuild, hell i even paid $300 2 days ago for what he said was a bad torque converter and he got it "rebuilt". the first time I installed the transmission it drove like a stock shift to it. Specifically asked for a Shift Kit to improve overall shift pressure and firmness.

At this point I will be getting this dudes name and address where he does this work, he better fix his mistake and at least throw something to sweeten the deal for all my misfortunes with his work.

If not I'll give a call to bureau of automotive repair and let them know, then I'll get lawyers involved

did you happen to mark the trans casing somewhere to know you got the same tranny back from him rather than another rebuild unit?

I don't know enough on these tranny's but I remember @THEFERMANATOR saying that the 94 and 95 4l80e's have different internals even though they are the same tranny on the same type of electrical system. there is a chance the rebuilder ether swapped you for another tranny or rebuilt it and used different internals than what your specific truck needs to function properly.

on another note, "rebuilt converter"?? the stock clutches in a TC are known not to hold up very well with a torquey motor, maybe a triple disc heavy duty converter would be a better option

I didn't do that didn't think of it, but I marked my initials on the TC and got it back with my initials on it, the trans looks the same color as i got it in the first place I don't suspect that they swapped it.

from what I have read, when a TC is rebuild, they have to be cut open where the weld is to replace the internals. does it look like your TC has been cut open and re-welded back together?

Kinda hard to tell looks like they had repainted the torque converter similar to the color it was when I brought it brand new... I just got home stopped by friends shop to talk to him

I told him i got a problem the transmission doesn't have oil pressure, no reverse gear, forward gears.

he told me "Its not a problem" bring it back and I'll tell the guy to fix it.

I told him I'm not dropping the trans this time

He told me Ok, just bring the truck over, but its not a problem.

I left afterwards PISSED thinking on the way home how is it not a "PROBLEM"
Anyways going to see what I'll do next. I have 2 exams tomorrow in class that requires my undivided attention, last thing i need to think about is this stupid situation. I'll check back in this forum after my exam tomorrow

"I will take care of it" from the shop is a good start. Better than being told to "Go Pound Sand".

Last front diff failure I had I pulled the first time. When it failed under warranty I asked "How much for you to pull it"?

"$200.00"

"Yeah, I will drop it off for $200 as I ain't doing that again."

They did not charge me the $200 and they had to replace the ring and pinion under warranty.

Back