• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4l80e rebuild

Snizzykaliznak

Reaction score
I have a '93 K3500 NA 6.5l diesel with a '95 4l80e that needs rebuilt. Had to use EZ-tcu to shift. I found a '93 4l80e for $75, that also needed rebuilt. The people had ordered the overhaul kit, but left it in pieces. I want to use the '93 core with the valve body and accumulator housing. The '95 bell is cracked. But '93 is missing forward and direct drum. Are these parts interchangeable? And both would have output speed sensor in transfer case? Correct? I need this truck running. Please help.20220207_144918.jpg20220207_144947.jpg

Yes, the drums are interchangeable. Not sure on the speed sensor. I could have sworn that my 93 has both speed sensors on the tranny housing, but it has been too long.
Casings changed in 1997 that moved the return cooler line rearward.

Ok, so I just went out and looked and both of my speed sensors are on the transmission. In 1997 they plugged the rear hole and put the speed sensor on the transfer case. Hope this helps

91-93 4x4's have BOTH speed sensors in the trans AND they used the one in the transfer case. 94+ omitted the output speed sensor in 4x4's, but you can add in the output reluctor wheel to put an output speed sensor in one. Most all of the internals between 93 & 95 interchange, but keep in mind to check ALL of your end plays on BOTH ends as different parts will have different thicknesses. If using an aftermarket trans controller, stick with a 94+ valve body. The 91-93 epc requires a cleaning pulse every 10 seconds that aftermarket controllers do not provide. And there is an exhaust port that you have to open in the 91-93 valve body to use a 94+ epc. And the extra line pressure accumulator is there to slow line pressure changes which GM found was not good for increasing line pressure quickly enough for when you get on the power(hence why they only did it for 3 years).

Back