• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4L80E factory installed OSS with no reluctor? Tracking down a no shift condition...

Reaction score
1996 K2500HD 6.5 diesel. Was a daily driver until the injection pump failed. I pulled the trans to swap into my K5 temporarily, then went through and refreshed the trans when I put it back in the truck. Worked fine, but had 220K miles on it at that point and a few thousand behind a healthy 489BBC in the K5 as a full manual, and had a few minor leaks. Figured it was a good time to put new clutches and seals in it. Direct clutches had seen some heat, but no major issues seen.

Got it in the truck, and found it wouldn't shift out of 1st either automatically or manually shifting, not all of the dash gear indicators were lighting up, and speedometer wasn't working. All other gauges and tach are working. Cleaned the range switch connections, got all the gear indicators showing. Swapped the VSS in the transfer case with another from my parts truck, but still no speedo and no shifting.

My scanner is showing the trans input speed sensor to be reading correclty, but always getting a 0 RPM on the output speed sensor. Swapped that sensor, and same thing.

I don't recall there being a reluctor in the trans for the OSS, but the sensor is there and there's a plug in the harness for it. My understanding is the OSS is the VSS for 2WD trans, but the 4WD uses the VSS in the transfer, and typically there's a dummy plug in the 4WD units...but mine definitely has a sensor and mating connection for it.

Is this some GM oddity with these trucks, or did I goof bigtime in the rebuild and forgot a major part?

Turns out I did goof, though thankfully not internal to the trans. I missed a connection in the wiring harness - there's an extension connector in the harness going back to the t-case that fits the OSS sensor connector. So it looks like the OSS sensor is just used as a rather expensive dummy plug, and that connection actually does go back to the VSS on the transfer case.

IMG_20221114_171609.jpg
I moved the OSS connector to that extension, speedo now works,and trans shifts at least through 3rd gear... Not enough driveway length to hit 4th, and I don't have the insurance on the truck yet.

But yay! Looking forward to driving this thing again ☺️

Back