• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4l80e burnt overrun clutch, roller sprang ok

BobTM

Reaction score
98 gm tiltmaster/ Isuzu NPR with 5.7 and 4l80e. Everthing looks original except the transmission. Trans out of a 2007. Put about 500miles since I got it. Pulled trans because I was getting a hard shift from 3toOD and trans fluid looked like it was never changed ( not burnt). Trans is currently disassembled and mostly rebuild. Everything looks good, but overrun clutch, metals, and pressure plate are burnt and dished. Overrun sprang has burnt plastic but still looks functional.

So, my guess is overrun clutch/piston is being applied in OD? Reverse felt normal.
Best way to check? I'm a bit lost on how to troubleshoot this.

The sprag is used for OD, period. That small clutch comes on in manual 3rd for compression braking. Not used in OD. Here is a hint: don't compression brake with a 4L80e because that clutch slips and burns up easy.

Some kits drill the valve body to bring this clutch on in OD to help the sprag hold.

Best you can do is get the best frictions available for this clutch. And the upgraded sprag. Shift Kits to bring it on in OD are your call.

Sonnax has a new kit on the market to help with this issue on 97+ 4l80e's. I have no experience with it other than I seen it a few weeks ago.

Back