• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4L80E blues

Fred 1993

Reaction score
I have a 1993 chevy 1 ton dually with the 6.5L turbo diesel and a 4L80E transmission, I had the direct piston which was the cast aluminum break a cause me to seek out a transmission repair guy. I went with a fellow that does lot of the race transmissions locally and has a good reputation, he replaced the aluminum direct piston with a cast steel and rebuilt the transmission with new clutches, solenoids ect...... Now heres my blues, It will downshift out of OD into 3rd and will not shift back into OD until I have shut the key off and restarted, I informed the transmission guy and he said bring it back and I'll fix it, I brought it back and he did this to it,
(All new molded pistons, sonnax boost valve, accumulator block off plate, new bushings, new converter, vacuum checked valve body and pump, transgo separator plate, believe all solenoids are now swapped, filter, OD seals, new overrun sprag and intermediate sprag, both bands,) still no love but I do feel something like the lock up converter locking and unlocking now about every 20 to 30 seconds. Does anyone have any thoughts? Oh and the transmission guy is no longer doing transmissions on the side due to family concerns so he is not an option.

Verify tps adjustment, make sure it is reading fluid temp, did he put the 91-93 only epc in it or did he cheap out and put the 94-03 in it, brake switch adjustment, check it for codes, put a trans pressure gauge on it?

I'll check those things out, but now it wont even shift out of first and setting no codes other then code 12, this is with me using 2 different tcm and drac controller.

Back