• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

3rd Gen Dodge Ram HD Ball Joint and Wheel Bearing Replacement

Cumminalong

Doghouse Diesel Performance
Reaction score
Below is how to do you the ball joints and wheel bearing / hub assembly on a 3rd Gen 2500 or 3500 SRW.

Word of caution.....this IS a labor intensive process. It can easily be done in the driveway, but plan on a weekend if you are by yourself.

Also, you MUST have a ball joint press for this job. Without it, you WILL NOT be able to remove the ball joints. I must say thanks to my buddy Tom for sending me (overnight) his ball joint press.

Please remember to use jack stands it you are under the truck. DO NOT rely solely on your hydraulic jack to support the vehicle.

Here is the removal portion. The installation portion will be in the next post.

Here is everything you are going to need for the job.....

Slide1-16.jpg

Slide2-16.jpg

Slide3-13.jpg

Slide4-11.jpg

Slide5-9.jpg

Slide6-8.jpg

Slide7-5.jpg

Slide8-5.jpg

Slide9-5.jpg

Slide10-4.jpg

Slide11-4.jpg

Slide12-3.jpg

Slide13-3.jpg

Slide14-1.jpg

Slide15-1.jpg

Slide16.jpg

Slide17.jpg

Slide18.jpg

Slide19.jpg

Slide20.jpg

Slide21.jpg

Slide22.jpg

Slide23.jpg

Last edited:
Great post!!

One little thing to add, if you leave the 18mm bolts sticking out, you can use the power steering to pop the bearing housing loose and not have to beat on it with a hammer.

3 things that I found out with my 2nd gen truck -
1) - me and my buddy bent a harbor freight press, so to get the old ball joints out we followed another friend's advice and burned a hole in the top with a torch and knocked them out with a big hammer
2) the new ball joints slide in a lot easier if you freeze them (preferably 6 or more hours - to be on the safe side)
3) take a grinder and make your hub assembly hole a tad bigger, then apply anti-seize, so next time it'll slide out and you won't have to beat on the backing bolts to get the old piece of crap out.

Back