• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

3k rpm @60+ on highway

RodDog416

94Burban K25 7.4L EFi
Reaction score
I'm driving a 94 burb k25. It's running 3k rpm @60+mph on highway. It was lower last year for sure. Any ideas on what can be the issues/fix??

Torque converter not locking up most likely.
Idk how to check that without a scanner on there. Keep checking back, this is an active forum with people way better on transmission than me.

Pull codes. Sounds like OD has blown a sprag in the transmission and you get only 3 gears and no TCC lockup. Your trans temps will be extreme with an unlocked TC risking more damage and fire.

Pull codes. Sounds like OD has blown a sprag in the transmission and you get only 3 gears and no TCC lockup. Your trans temps will be extreme with an unlocked TC risking more damage and fire.
So I figured out how to read the codes w/out obd1 scanner with a paper clip hack. It gives me (3×12) and (3×45). 45 being the o2 sensor..?

Manually shift the gears and count the shifts. You should have 4 and be careful not to count a TCC lockup in 3rd. A misadjusted shift pointer can have you selecting 3rd (direct) by mistake.

In some cases TCC lockup can be locked out if the engine is misfiring or not running well.

We working on a gas rig?

Manually shift the gears and count the shifts. You should have 4 and be careful not to count a TCC lockup in 3rd. A misadjusted shift pointer can have you selecting 3rd (direct) by mistake.

In some cases TCC lockup can be locked out if the engine is misfiring or not running well.

We working on a gas rig?
Yea it's gas automatic

I initiated truck into 4x4 went off road all bit. I put it in neutral to disengage the 4x4 and I drove off around another lap and it's empty lot and then I stopped and re-engaged the 4x4 and when I went up a hill and it stopped it I don't know what happened I couldn't go anywhere and just stopped so I was trying to get it back out into regular drive and I could not. everything kept grinding and all the gears and I had to go to park and then always to drive and then back to park and then it was able to get me back into regular drive now when I kept putting in the park it kept making a sound like it was spinning but nothing was engaging not loud just like light sound....so yea definitely something with the transmission.

so yea definitely something with the transmission.

Bluntly an assumption. Shifting the 4X4 transfer case and then grinding noises sounds like a transfer case problem. Transfer case not in gear or shift fork worn out in it. Hint: when shit's grinding and going "Bang Bang Bang!" on the parking pawl: SHUT ENGINE OFF IN NEUTRAL! Wait for spinning stuff to stop spinning then and only then can you shift to park. This way you don't grind up gears or snap the parking pawl clean off. It is a bit of an art to shift from 4X4 low to 2WD or 4X4 high. Screw it up and your only choice is to shut the engine off in neutral as neutral has enough internal drag to spin the output shaft of the transmission up. You may have to roll very very slowly some to shift the transfer case.

4L80E trans?

If so does the wiring harness connector underneath have signs of trans fluid on or in it? If yes, you'll need to drop the pan and replace the wire harness. I'd also replace both shift solenoids while your in there.

Back