• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2018 honda accord 50K miles slew of codes cranks and runs fine dealer says injectors blah blah blah

schiker

Reaction score
Just had a call from my sister1 with sister2. Sister2's car is a 2018 honda accord 50K miles recently serviced. They drove on a 2 hour trip then parked for 2 days and when started several check engine lights came (started like normal). I guess car can suggest service etc brakes might not work and other things seek service etc. Scared them from trip back.

I said check oil and fluids if ok let it run just above idle to charge up battery and see if it runs fine listen for any noise etc then have codes read cleared and see what comes back.

They took it to dealer who says injectors threw codes causing other codes or something. Sister1 walked away and called me. The car runs fine and I am just guessing the injectors are out of spec they are trying to obtain warranty work.

Any suggestions?

It’s hard to phone internet diagnose severity. Being a woman’s car I try not to get involved. Just help check the sniff test if she is getting taken advantage of. I texted her …I see a couple google hits on injector issues. And electrical issues. I'd want to know how far out of spec injectors were. 1 or more out? Might try resetting codes run a tank of top tier gas and wait for codes to return. If no oil dilution no acceleration lag or rough running. Looks like injectors are only covered 36k miles. Replaced at dealer set of 4 might be $1300-1600. And she will likely have to replace them sooner than most cars. Her car her call. Just thought I’d see if anyone suggested something.

ABS and traction control codes will set if there is a engine code most of times. Its all one big system, stability control cant properly function if there is a running issue.

What codes did it set? alot of times the injectors will fail and cause a lean or rich condition.

Why I only go with Toyota. I've worked on both, Honda are just over complicated both mechanically and electronically and a PIA to work on when things go wrong.

I feel the exact opposite. I LOVE Hondas. Best car manufacturer in my option, that's why my wife drives one.... Toyota on the other had... well lets just say I will NEVER EVER own one. 18 years turning wrenches have taught me to hate Toyotas

Honda covered 85% of the repair she replaced injectors. She did not tell me the individual codes only the dash lit up with brake light etc. It drove 2-3 hours home fine.

I guess I can see if the injectors caused severe stumbling the ECM would fault different codes because it couldn't smooth out control wouldn't expect brakes though. Unless it happened while braking and the brake module was pulsing brakes with engine surge???

Now she says it had run rough before service but had driven fine going on the 2-3 hour trip.

well, 85% is better than the alternative dealers usually stick people with! Hope all is fixed.

I once years ago took the family car to our local ford dealership because the AC compressor locked up to the point it couldn't be driven! had it towed in. they replaced the compressor under warranty but when we were called to come pick it up, arrived and they showed us a bill for $90.. I was like for what...

the dealership took it upon them selves to do an oil change and replace filters. I argued with them that that wasn't requested and I do all the maintenance myself, just because there wasn't a sticker on the windshield didn't mean for them to do the service. argueing with them did nothing. They basically said if I wanted the car I had to pay! of course I paid them, but I did have a word with their service manager and the salesman who sold us the car. not that that did any good.

I knew I guy that had a dodge diesel pickup. He took it to the dealer for some warranty work and they called him and told him he'd have to pay for a front end alignment. He said to them that he hoped the mechanic got it back pretty close because he sure would hate to get in a wreck and that then they'd be liable because they didn't do a proper alignment on it. The person on the phone went and talked to the service manager and they suddenly decided they would do the alignment for free.

Most running issues will disable ABS and stability control on Hondas. It's how they are programmed. Alot of other manufacturers do the same thing. Welcome to modern cars where it takes 6 computers to turn on the turn signal 🤣

that aint no $hit!! my daughters 06 jetta will shut down power to individual ligh bulbs if it detects a short! even if the bulb is good, we were chasing a gremlin for a good while until we discovered that even if the bulb filament resistance was off it would turn it off. had to go buy special bulbs made for VW to get around that problem. every single wire in that car are can-bus communication lines!!

Be glad. Chrysler/Fiat/Jeep's shit is even worse as far as that goes! Have a friend with a 2020 Chrysler 300 (Company car, he hates it but it's free to him as part of his job) and had a headlight go out. $178 just for the bulb, PLUS labor! Part of the Canbus system, his Company had to eat the cost as, get this, burned out bulbs not covered under the new car warranty. Don't know if that's due to being a corporate fleet lease, or what, but the bulb is NOT available at parts stores and only through Chrysler/Fiat dealership! A freaking headlight bulb!

Last edited:
more of a reason I like old school Chevy's lol
Yup! Gimme a 50's, 60's or even a 70's GM to wrench on ANY time! Even a few 80's GM models (but that Cadillac HT4100 V8 was an absolute piece of shit motor from the valve covers down to the oil pan! I know, GM replaced THREE engines in my 83 Coupe d'Ville before it rolled over 80,000 miles and was 5 years old!).

anything with the word Cadillac and I rush in the opposite direction :smuggrin:
That was back when the Divisions, Chevy, Olds, Buick, Pontiac and Cadillac had their own motors. They shared automatic transmissions and many chassis parts, but you were already starting to see homogenization between the Divisions - like Camaro/Firebird sharing everything but exterior trim and interiors, same motors and all.

The Cadillac HT4100 was an attempt to meet CAFE standards with a 4.1L aluminum block/heads, floating sleeves, V8 with TBI and early engine management systems in the late 1970's d'Ville chassis (which ran the destroked, debored down to 368 ci venerable Caddy V8 previous to the HT4100) and while it looked good on paper, was a piece of crap engine. It's biggest two engineering problems were its bottom end and top end! They were built with almost .005 rod and main clearance to reduce friction and also frequently sprung internal and external coolant leaks because they couldn't keep head gaskets sealed - seems they were designed with the outboard row of head bolts going through the head, a hole in the flange in the deck and down the OUTSIDE of the block and into an inch deep hole in the lip around the pan rail!

Back