• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2014 Toyota 4Runner Cam Position Sensor Plug

Big T

Reaction score
Posting this here in hopes that someone can help. Have posted it on a Toyota4Runner Forum, but those guys have no technical ability and seem more interested in aftermarket add-ons for their trucks.

I ran into an issue changing the spark plugs. While removing the wire plug from the coil on the middle cylinder on the driver's side, the wire harness pulled from the plug on the cam position sensor. These wires seem to simply poke into the plug and are held in by a rubber sleeve, which is not a very sturdy design.

I went to a Toyota dealer where the parts guy was of no help. First off his computer parts system was down. Then he said if it were up, it would just show the plug without wires or the entire wiring harness. Neither were a good answer. He suggested I look online which is my normal course.

Rockauto sells a repair plug by Dorman and I ordered one:

645-744-007__ra_p.jpg

So from the picture, they provide three wires and crimps to connect it to the harness. Great, simple fix, but what is the placement order for the colored wires into the plug?
The wires are: 1) green, 2) green w/ black stripe, and 3) pink. I'm pretty sure the pink was in the middle (get your minds out of the gutter). Would there be a polarity issue with the cam sensor?

3 wire sensors are sensitive to which wire goes where.
No clue as to which goes where for your application.
Only 3 wires, I say start stabing and you’ll be there in 6 tries or less!

Sorry, don’t have Hawkins roll out of Hell to yell at me.

Reactions: NVW
Find a used one for sale same year and same emissions label. (The CA emissions differences may no longer apply.) Look at plug wire order... Do not guess because you can burn the sensor out or ground out the 5v 'bus' making the ECM unhappy.

Are there any on line wire diagrams?

Find a used one for sale same year and same emissions label. (The CA emissions differences may no longer apply.) Look at plug wire order... Do not guess because you can burn the sensor out or ground out the 5v 'bus' making the ECM unhappy.

Are there any on line wire diagrams?

I ask guys on a Toyota forum to take and post pictures of their, but not response. Next I will search for wiring diagrams. I think I have a pretty good Idea based on how the wires lie in the harness.

I got this done on the first try using the natural order of the wires as they laid in the harness. Pretty easy job. Test drove the car and engine is fully operational with no CEL.

Back