• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2011 Duramax DEF Fluid Issue / Problems

BoostN

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Anyone experience the DEF freezing in on them? I've not had a problem and we've had some single digit nights here.

It seems to be the guys way north with the issues.

I was wondering how that was going to work out. I guess the DEF Tank has a heater in it to keep the DEF from freezing, I would hope. I have also heard that some of the guys in extreme cold areas have had some issues.

What are you hearing from the other forums Jeff? I thought they put a heater on the DEF tanks. I know the new CL5 through 8 trucks have heaters.

What are you hearing from the other forums Jeff? I thought they put a heater on the DEF tanks. I know the new CL5 through 8 trucks have heaters.

A lot of problems are popping up from the very north guys. The tank heater isn't doing it's job. GM's fix right now is a re-flash and to defreeze the tank along with putting in new sensors. Some have reported the reflash doesn't help.

Curiosity has me now. Is the heater running even when the truck is off? What happens if the system freezes, does the engine just not run right until it thaws? If it freezes solid will it crack the tank or lines?

Curiosity has me now. Is the heater running even when the truck is off? What happens if the system freezes, does the engine just not run right until it thaws? If it freezes solid will it crack the tank or lines?

I don't think it runs until you crank the truck. The first start-up it will limit you to 55 mph. if you cut the truck off it will cut you down to 4 mph when you restart it. It is made of mostly water, so it could expand enough to crack things, I would guess. I see a lot of deletes in the future for cold weather guys. Either that or GM will be buying a whole lot of them back.

No way that heater could run while the truck off. Batteries wouldn't last at all. One thing though, It makes you wonder why the DEF Tank heater isn't combined in with the cord on the block heater. Heating both while the truck is off.

No way that heater could run while the truck off. Batteries wouldn't last at all. One thing though, It makes you wonder why the DEF Tank heater isn't combined in with the cord on the block heater. Heating both while the truck is off.

That's what I figured too. Just seems like it could get very annoying having your truck not run right simply because the emission system was too cold to work.

On the MF 8600 Series tractors, they have two heaters, one is wired in with the block heater cord, so when you plug it in, it defrosts the tank. The second is an actual heating loop off the cooling system, so hot antifreeze defrosts the tank as the truck warms up.

Are these just electric heated??

The more I read on DP, this is becoming a big issue. More and more are popping up. GM better get on the ball..

If the heater for the DEF isn't somehow tied into the block heater cord, then GM (and any other manufacter for that matter) have a HUGE problem on their hands. I don't care how many re-flashes you do the truck, it ain't going to help. Are the Super Duty's and Rams having the same issues with the DEF?

If the heater for the DEF isn't somehow tied into the block heater cord, then GM (and any other manufacter for that matter) have a HUGE problem on their hands. I don't care how many re-flashes you do the truck, it ain't going to help. Are the Super Duty's and Rams having the same issues with the DEF?

RAM doesn't use DEF yet I don't believe. I'm not sure about the Fords, I don't visit a ford site very often :hihi:

Ford Uses DEF, and eventually Cummins will go SCR. They are planning a major power boost for the Cummins, and the only way for that to meet emissions, will be through SCR.

Just yesterday I talked to my dentist who's SIL is a Cummins field test engineer. They are working on SCR tests now, even though they swore they were gonna stick with only cooled EGR.

I think only the 2011 & Newer C&C Dodge's Use DEF.

I'm sorry James, I forgot to mention that. The Cummins in 3/4 and 1 ton pickup trucks do not run the DEF. I'm sure there are plenty of C&C Ram's and Ford's that are running in the cold temps.

Just yesterday I talked to my dentist who's SIL is a Cummins field test engineer. They are working on SCR tests now, even though they swore they were gonna stick with only cooled EGR.

And that is the reason why Navistar told Cummins where to shove it. Cummins swore they were going to stick with cooled EGR, so IH designed their trucks around that, no extra room for a DEF tank/plumbing. Then Cummins dropped a bomb on them, said they did not have to go with SCR, but it gave better mileage, so that s the way they went. Navistar then signed with Cat.

SCR is the only way to go. The exhaust comes out cleaner than the intake air. Once all these little hick ups are fixed, they will be sweet.

Back