• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2010 Puller Progress Thread

durallymax

Reaction score
Im a little slow this year. Hadnt quite decided if I was gonna pull this year or not. Still dont know if I will but if it gets done it gets done. Im just too stubborn to spend the money on a few of the parts I need to get it done. I only need a set of injectors and need to freshen up the trans and it will be ready to run.

But the longer i put off buying those two things, the more time I have to work on it slowly and do things the right way and think about them more to make sure it is perfect the first time. Plus if the motor sits out of the truck until the end of the season, I wont have to put it back in and maybe next year I will finally drop the coin to build it. In addition, by working a little every night, I have some time to get a little more sleep unlike last season.

For those who dont know, last summer in august I had 3 injectors crack and fill the crankcase with diesel which took out the bearings in my turbo and the oil pump. The Turbo is rebuilt and I did install a new oil pump, but a set of balanced Bosch Remans are not cheap as anybody who has done their injectors out of pocket knows.

Anyways heres a list of things that are getting done no matter what. And all of them are going to hopefully be final designs. Ive had a lot of time to brainstorm them. I will go into more detail on them as they each progress.

New hitch design (no more receiver style).
Great Lakes Off Road Heavy Duty Diff cover (for a mounting point for hitch)
Replace Spare tire Carrier X Member with a tube which will have a new set of bump stops mounted to it.
New Suspension Stops.
Removal of shocks and mounting points
New rear mounts for traction bars on the axle tube
New Aluminum Traction bars polished to a mirror
New driveshafts loops/u joint shields for front and rear
Weld Axle Tubes
Mount Racing Seat and 5pt harness
Build a center console for laptop and other things
Torque Converter Lock and Unlock Switchs
Electric Kill Switch for Sled (for simplicity) mounted in new tailgateish deal
Rerouting Air Shutoff cable to be mounted in center console.
Polished Diamond Plate Where tailgate was
Nuetral light in new tailgateish deal
Drive Pressure Gauge
Fix Front Clip with Denali Front Clip
Paint a bunch of parts to match truck color.
Remove A/C and heating equipment
Simplify some of the wiring

and a Weight box that I will probably have a lot of time in. It will be pretty elaborate.

Other things I may do include.

Replacing fuel tank with fuel cell in the bed
Simplify fuel system with new plumbing.
Classy Button Snap Tonneau cover.
6" stack to replace my 5" that has melted plastic on it.
and other things that come to mind.

Ive probably forgot a few things to.

As you can tell my motto is KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). while many of my pieces I am fabricating are quite elaborate and far from simple, Im trying to keep the rest of the truck simple by only having the equipment on it that I need to me the rules and go down the pulling track as I do not drive the truck anymore.

So far I have gutted most of the interior and sold it. ( I know have some sweet crank windows, which actually come in handy)
Removed A/C System
Removed spare tire crossmember
Started fabricating my hitch
Re-assembled the engine to about as far as I can go without the injectors.

And tonite I removed the cab for some reason and built a nice dolly stand for it.

Here are some pics from tonite. Ill try to keep this thread updated as much as I can/want.

7ba019f30f53.jpg

c16ece2ef40f.jpg

Lookin' forward to following the build Vinny and hopefully see you in the winner's circle one day!:thumbsup:

Good luck bud!

I'll give you a call tomorrow.

Got a nice roll-around frame/stand for the cab built today. Works pretty slick.

Used 1.5x1.5 Tube and some polyurethane casters from menards.

These casters are a bit overkill (900lbs each) but they roll very nicely.

53c92fed2422.jpg

d6e860d0c855.jpg

4770b65f7f2f.jpg

got a few more pics. Sorry my lens on my camera phone got foggy for some reason and I cant get it clean.

Here is my new diff cover

c71e27eee9de.jpg

Here is the interior

0cc773fc766d.jpg

Well all thats left of my interior is the accelerator, brake, and parking brake pedal.

Also got the entire wiring harness out of the truck. Now time to sort through the mess. Most of the interior harness will be gone, dont need much of it at all.

And looking through my book with the way things communicate to each other, i think i am going to end up creating a standalone engine and transmission setup, and run the rest seperately (lights etc.) as just simple 12v and ground. I may try to get the factory gauge cluster to work. i havent looked into it much but it looks like the BCM doesnt play much of a role in it. So I think it should work out.

When i get some time, ive got a lot of parts to list for sale too. Before I list a lot of it, if anybody is needing something interior wise, let me know. ive got a lot of goodies.

Till tommorow.

New plan. No more interior. Just standalone engine and trans. then making an aluminum dash, and centerconsole with a bunch of goodies I only need to go 300'.

Finally getting started on this, well not really, but ive been doing a lot of thinking.

Got some new goodies today too . Simpson Platinum Series CamLock harness. Seat is still in the mail.

5b6fafd633f0.jpg

Back