• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2003 Arctic Fox 27-5L , fit 2 Lifeline GPL-4CT AGM 6v Batteries

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score
After 4 weeks of dry camping in total last season my unknown age batteries were murdered. :dead: Although AF comes with a nice Progressive Dynamics "INTELI-POWER" converter it's actually a "STUPID-POWER" 9100 series missing a 5 cent Charge Wizard chip the 9200 series has standard. (9100's: For full hook up RV use.) This chip will change the voltage to 14.4v during the bulk charging phase: aka you start the generator in the AM and it can send the full 60A of the converter to the batteries. Without it it's stuck on "slow" 13.X Volts that takes forever to charge and wastes genset fuel. This and a shaded campsite killing solar for a week finished killing the batteries due to under charge and deep discharge. Fortunately they sell a $25.00 adapter with the 5 cent chip in it.

Further upgrades include a "fuel gauge" for the batteries in the form of a Bogart Engineering SC-2030 Solar Controller with temp compensation and TM 2030-RV battery monitor. Figure out how much AM generator time is needed and maybe save fuel by letting solar finish charging.

Golf Cart 6v batteries have "bigger" cells rather than more smaller cells of a 12v battery. They don't have one battery working harder than the other due to cable length differences etc. Last, I can dump the entire 60A converter current through them during the bulk charging stage rather than splitting it 50/50 with two 12v units. The result is they are taller than most 12v batteries. The chosen model is the shortest and I thought would fit with the least pain. Lifeline offers a nearly unmatched 5 year warranty. :)

I missed the supports for the upper battery tray in the way when measuring to see if the Lifeline GPL-4CT AGM 6v batteries would fit the original battery compartment as well as the hold down bolts. The rest of this post is the 'square peg pounded into a round hole'. o_O

Seriously. :eek:

So overview of battery compartment (Did not mount batteries like this.):

1.JPG

Supports in the way:

2.JPG

Cut out with angle grinder: (Cut then grind...)

5.JPG
4.JPG

Battery tray modification (Lift the front of the tray up and it will come out.)

6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG

New Bogart Engineering SC-2030 Solar Controller:

10.JPG

Current Shunt:

12.JPG

Finished Battery compartment. I pushed the top battery as far in as possible due to the reduced support I cut out.

16.JPG

Last edited:
Tight fit. Note battery temp sensor for the solar controller is on the negative terminal in there somewhere... Silicone self fusing tape used on terminals due to tight fit.

17.JPG

Wiring following the plumbing:

13.JPG

New TM 2030-RV:

14.JPG

Old "dumb" Solar Controller:

15.JPG

The location of the TM 2030-RV is on the other side of the wall from the bathroom sink. Getting 2 wire cables to the old location would have been very hard and risk going by the fridge. This way the wires follow the plumbing to the sink and it's in a better location. The old Solar controller is pretty greased up from being over the stove and microwave. Microwave moved as it died and new ones are bigger... 1st owner had a TV there.

Chief_Mike.JPG

North Rim Grand Canyon

AF.jpg

af2.jpg

Last edited:
Pro's and Con's to dual 6 volts.

Either way, the wiring is looking good should you decide on the next battery batch to go dual 12 volts :)

Nice looking trailer too :D

Lithium has come a long way and I am considering going in that direction now that there are stable thermal platforms available. Naturally, this will call for a bit more re-jiggering of the wiring on both the trailer and tow vehicle side.

Nice camper and great work ingenuity there on the electrical system.

It is always great to have power to run things in a camper if you don't have electrical hook ups.

Nice camping area there also, not too crowded, more peace and quite.

Back