• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2002 GM Crew Cab Repower...

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone has seen a 02 GM Crew cab (4x4 or 4x2) with a cummins repower in it? If so was it stick or auto? How would one navigate the electrical system for such a project? Could the stock GM tranny mate to the 5.9? Thinking of a new project... family is getting bigger and my current truck is getting smaller. I want a newer GM and the cummins. Any help would be welcomed!:skep:

Seen a 5.9 repower in a 6.0, it was an auto converted to manual but he converted to a allison tranny later iirc. It was a single cab 3/4ton but same difference when it comes to motor mounts and engine/tranny control.

He was on the dieselplace last I knew.

Check with burning oil, its the same basic principle in a gmt 400 vs gmt 800. A 4L80 adapter can be had and a standalone controler.

With the 02 Gm's its cheaper to find the gassers than diesel. Is it possible to put a cummins in that set up? Is the gasser tranny a 4l80E ? or is it an Allison? Im looking at a 02 gasser 4x4.

The 4l80 in a gasser is the same basic tranny as the diesel 4l80, only difference is the torque converter. From what I hear you benefit from a 1400rpm tripple disc stall. It will be fine behind a 12 valve @300ish hp and might need beefed up beyond that.

What about the electronics. In the '02 there seems to be more electronics that there are in the late 90 models. I think everything from the speedo to the tach all run off the computer. Would I have to find a diesel gauge cluster? or is there some sort of computer interface that can be hooked up and all of it reprogrammed to the 5.9. I found a 92 5.9, which would be an all mechanical motor. But then that leaves the throttle linkage a mystery to figure out as well....

Wow... read the whole thread. I am not looking to make a race truck. That was way too much work. But in the end he had electrical problems as well. The PCM controllers, do those only operate the tranny on an auto? or do they convert the signals for all the sensors on the motor as well?

Wow... read the whole thread. I am not looking to make a race truck. That was way too much work. But in the end he had electrical problems as well. The PCM controllers, do those only operate the tranny on an auto? or do they convert the signals for all the sensors on the motor as well?

I couldn't find the original build thread but i nearly bought the truck pre short bed conversion. I drove it with the Nv 4500. There are ways to get most of the signals you need, iirc his speedo, tach, and all other gauges worked but the cel was on. I'm sure using a gm trans makes some of it easier for you. His might have been more extreme than yours but you would have some of the same issues to over come.

Judging by the lack of information available, this will be a very unique build. Looking forward to it. Been looking through "the LIST" at 2002 and 2003 model 2500-3500HD. I will probably take get a gasser for the base. My goal is to make it all appear as factory as possible and to be neat and clean. Again if anyone has any tips on how to handle to electronic challenges please sound off.

I'm definately rooting for ya but not many people shove a cummins in the GMT800 trucks. I have no doubts that you can get it running, driving, speedo, and gauges working. Sounds like most of the temp sensors ar innerchangable or can be re tapped to accept the GM sensors.

Check destroked. com thats where bombdoc got most the parts for Chummin

I was thinking the same thing with my 02 2500HD gasser...but I think it would be easier to swap in a Dmax at that point. At least the sensors, wiring, etc. will all read and match up.

My boss does have a 24V sitting in his old truck, buried in snow. He's got a newer 1500 Hemi Ram now and doesn't use it...makes me think :D

Back