• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2000 K2500 4L80E Problems

AllenC

Reaction score
Alright, so I have a 2000 GMC K2500 (Classic) with a 4l80e, I've been having constant issues with it since I bought it. At first, the trans pan was leaking pretty bad, about a quart a day or so but it was my only vehicle so I just kept adding fluid and driving it. I've put a pan gasket on it, started to leak again after a day. Last week I went ahead and put all ACDelco parts on it, new pan, new gasket, new bolts, and new dipstick tube and it fixed the leak. Normally I only drive it about 15 minutes to work and 15 minutes back, it's been doing just fine. But today, I took my sister in law to school and it's about a 25 minute trip there, half way back it started shifting really hard from 1-2 and pretty rough 2-3, and has no overdrive. I checked the fluid, it's perfect. I've read a couple things but it's all for pre 92 models and I'm fairly certain stuff has changed since then, and I just need some advice. I have no idea where to start on this one.

No codes in it, I let it sit for about 5 hours and when I went and drove it, it shifted smooth as butter, I'm not quite sure what the issue is unless its overheating on these slightly longer drives?

What you describe sounds like limp mode. I limp mode it runs full line pressure and disables OD. You need to get a scanner on it to see if it set any history codes or if it's overheating and causing limp that way.

Back