• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1998 Lower Control Arms

caseyragan

Reaction score
Im in the process of rebuilding a 1998 Cheyenne 4x4 5.7 vortec for my son. I need to replace the lower control arm bushings but after 300,000 miles id rather just change the whole control arm. Problem is I cant find a replacement lca. Does anyone know of a replacement? Please don't say rock auto because i wouldn't post on here if i haven't looked there first.

Another member of the forum was in search of LCAs and I think someone might have scrounged them up a used one, or maybe a set.
Somebody in here most likely remembers the situation.
Welcome to the forum Casey.

Look into LMC, classic industries, classic chevy is a few to search.

Otherwise:
Auto dismantlers in the southwest where rust is a color of wall paint not a thing that happens to rigs.
I feel so bad for you guys where things like control arms ever need replacement.

Look into LMC, classic industries, classic chevy is a few to search.

Otherwise:
Auto dismantlers in the southwest where rust is a color of wall paint not a thing that happens to rigs.
I feel so bad for you guys where things like control arms ever need replacement.
Thank you for your reply. I've tried all the places you suggested with no luck

The GMT800 LCA will swap in with only a little modification needed to the shock mount. Otherwise it's interchangeable everywhere else. You can go to a wrecker yard and try to find the forged LCAs, just depends on how much struggling you want to do in the boneyard after getting the originals off your rig

Interchange mentioned in this video, depending on your needs /uses for the truck the GMT800 front brake upgrade may be good to tackle at the same time as the LCAs

I have a pair of forged LCAs for the GMT 400s. The cost to ship from SoCal to upstate NY member was so prohibitive that it dwarfed my harvest cost from the boneyard.

It's covered in the video, but I also meant to add that if using the GMT800 LCA you'd have to ream it out to accept the ball joint for the GMT400. I should have said it's interchangeable with the frame & torsion bar mounts.

The GMT800 LCA will swap in with only a little modification needed to the shock mount. Otherwise it's interchangeable everywhere else. You can go to a wrecker yard and try to find the forged LCAs, just depends on how much struggling you want to do in the boneyard after getting the originals off your rig

Interchange mentioned in this video, depending on your needs /uses for the truck the GMT800 front brake upgrade may be good to tackle at the same time as the LCAs

This guy read our threads here, then went for his 15 minutes of YouTube fame.

This guy read our threads here, then went for his 15 minutes of YouTube fame.
The 1st guy to do it here also posted it at gmt400 abd a few others, so he could have gotten the info from 1 of a half dozen forums.

As to the OP's question, new LCA's do not exist for these trucks, neither stamped or forged. GM stopped making them over 15 years ago and the aftermarket has not seen fit to produce them. And doing the gmt800 LCA's would also require swapping out your brakes, spindles, and all that stuff to gmt800 along with 2 reamers(or 1 reamer and a custom outer tie rod setup).

Back