• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1998 K2500 vs K3500..what's the difference?

great white

Reaction score
Hi all.

I just recently bought a 1998 K2500 6.5 TD. It's a 8600 gvwr model. It also has the 10.5 FF rear axle.

The more I dig into the truck and it's options (slide in camper package, snow plow package, etc), the more I realize this is one pretty HD truck. Especially for my uses (Daily driver and snow plow for my own driveway in winter).

My question is:

What's the difference between My K2500 and a K3500 of the same vintage?

Is it something simple like springs, or is it more like hubs, frame, brakes, etc? Do I essentially have a 1 ton with "softer" springs?

I've asked the question on a couple other forums, but I usually just get bunch of kids squabbling about who is right or who is wrong. I'm just looking for some good info....

Borg Warner Transfer case in the 3500. Floor lever shift or push button? My 3500 has floor.

How about 8th digit of the VIN? All 3500 are F.

Wheel hubs? Perhaps they are the same if its 8lug? Not sure.

A 1 ton single rear wheel is only 9200gvw. Rear axle is slightly heavier. Not all 3500s have the B-W transfer case. K2500 gvw range from7200-8600. K3500 gvw 9200-15,000.

I believe many of the 3500 duallys also came with the DANA 70 or 80 rear end(seen both underneath em).

The slide in camper package is prolly like the old camper special, meaning it had a rear sway bar.

The snow plow package is prolly just a little heavier front springs.

3500 and HD2500 are pretty much the same front end, just different torsion bars and hub adapters if its a dually.

I dont know what the differences is on the rear, not much as far as I can tell. Just depends on how it was ordered, I've seen 3500's(cheap grade work trucks) with the same spring pack and axles(single tire) as the medium 2500 and HD 2500's with the same spring pack as the 3500 dually with overloads. Then the cab and chassis truck could have(most did) had even more springs in the pack, narrower axle and frame(some were double wall,maybe all).

Sounds like he has the 8 lug 2500. My K3500 has helper springs but it's a dually. I don't think the SRW one I had did. In fact I remember crawling under the 96 K2500 gasser(yuk) I drove at work(HD 8 lug) and trying to see any differences to my 2000 K3500HD and I didn't.

IIRC the 2500HD had cast. I'll look tommorow if I can get down to see it. i's on death row waiting to be scrapped cause of a bad spark plug wire...

Borg Warner Transfer case in the 3500. Floor lever shift or push button? My 3500 has floor.

How about 8th digit of the VIN? All 3500 are F.

Wheel hubs? Perhaps they are the same if its 8lug? Not sure.

I believe the 8th digit is engine. F is HO diesel, S is LD diesel, J is a 454, I think 350 was a R or something. My buddy has a 99 CCDRW with a 454, he has the Borg warner transfer case and I have a NP. Both have the shifter on the floor, both have cast lower control arms, he does have some more leaf springs in the back than me and I think when we did his rotors the spec. was a little thicker than mine. But tha might have been because it was a dually and not a SRW 3500. Anyways comparing his to mine side by side they are pretty close. His has a 14 FF also like mne.

Whew, lot of comments, lot of questions!

My 98 is a 8600 lb K2500. To my knowledge, as big as it gets for a 1998 GMT400 K2500 (maybe I'm wrong?)

8 lug rims

Forged lwr control arms

10.5 inch 14 bolt full floating rear axle

L65 (Vin - F) - H.O. 6.5 Turbo Diesel engine

Push button 4x4. Side note: didn't think I'd like push button, I've always had a lever. But after fixing the "spastic" operation of 4x4 by fixing the crappy solder joints in the switch, the convenience and speed at which it goes into and out of 4x4 is growing on me real fast!)

No rear sway bar

Snow Plow package is just heavier front torsion bars to my knowledge.

I was just wondering how much (and what) was "stepped up" to make the 2500 a 3500. Obviously, comparing a SRW to a SRW. Don't get me wrong, this 2500 is more truck than I'll probably ever need (DD and plowing 400 feet of personal driveway in the winter), I was just wondering what the differences may be, if any.

IE:
Springs, thicker/bigger frame, larger rear axle (I thought there was a 10.5 and 11 inch 14 bolt), larger hub bearings, etc.......

9.5 and 10.5 14bolt in these trucks. 11.5 14bolt came out for the duramax/8.1 trucks, same size axle shafts, just a bigger ring gear but lost the pinion support bearing.

Yours is not much different than a 3500 single, some 3500 had the overload spring, some didn't, the front torsions would be a little stouter, but you have the plow package so they may be the same. I wouldn't worry about it, if you have the 10.5, chances are you have as much spring as 10ply tires and 80psi wheels will handle.

9.5 and 10.5 14bolt in these trucks. 11.5 14bolt came out for the duramax/8.1 trucks, same size axle shafts, just a bigger ring gear but lost the pinion support bearing.

Yours is not much different than a 3500 single, some 3500 had the overload spring, some didn't, the front torsions would be a little stouter, but you have the plow package so they may be the same. I wouldn't worry about it, if you have the 10.5, chances are you have as much spring as 10ply tires and 80psi wheels will handle.

Some did have the DANA 80 rear axle as I worked on a few for a fleet awhile back.

Back