• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1997 f150

Jonesharold315

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this forum I have a 1997 f150 4×4 4.6 my issues started a month ago when i stopped to get gas it was running fine shut it off to pump gas went to start it and it sounded like a shot gun going off pulled intake off and there was a massave hole in lower intake put a new one on now when I start it it idles just fine no issues even after 20 mins go to drive it and it starts pouring smoke from somewhere behind the motor towards the top temp gauge stays normal and have heat I have replaced intake gaskets thermostat and gasket and as long as I shut it off as soon as it starts smokeing I dont lose any coolant and ideas

That was the problem took it off cleaned it real good and it stopped thank you now if I can figure out this shifting issue truck will be done the guy I bought it from converted it from automatic to manual transmission when takeing off in 1st gear the instant you let off on clutch it already is ready for the next gear by time I hit 5th I'm only going 30 the truck will go faster but it sounds like motor is going to blow rpms to high it's not going all the way threw each gear it wants shifted too soon if I take off in 3rd or 4th gear it does ok but run out of gears I have changed the rear speed sensor any ideas

Welcome to TTS!

If the transfer case is not in the low range, then the rear has a very low gear (lower than 4.10). If the door sticker is still in place, check the axle code to find out what rear gear the truck had when it was built. There are lots of sites with axle code translation tables, so just search a bit.

Starting the truck out in 2'nd gear is common for a manual pickup. Even with taller rear gears like 3.73 or 3.55. 1'st is usually just to get moving while towing or carrying a heavy load.

FWIW, better punctuation will help the rest of us follow-along with the narrative. Not using a 'period' does make it a bit of a challenge. Just say-in ;)

Back