• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1996 6.5 to 5.9 12V Cummins Conversion Videos & Updates

Scholioso

Reaction score
Hey guys.

A couple months ago, I finished my conversion. Well, ever since & everywhere I go, I get looks & questions like none other. So I've been thinking about documenting everything I did & or do to my truck. Here is my first kinda "intro" video. I plan on doing more in depth videos as well, for those that are thinking of doing this swap. I stared at the same pictures of a maroon gmt400 Cummins swap back in 2014 when I first wanted to do this, & then again when I actually started. Just bringing some new content to the table I guess.

Anyways, let me know what ya think! If ya like it or would like to see me, like it, leave a comment, or if you're feeling frisky, hit the subscribe button if you want! Or don't! Either way, I'll still make more vids Haha

Swap looks great. I look forward to seeing how you did the complicated stuff like copping up the core support. I think i'll put together a video like this when I get my burb and tools moved to their new home and the 6bt swap starts.

I have a build thread on pirate for the SAS, i'll post a link here, if linking to other messageboards is verboten, then mods, take it down. https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/che...-6-5td-solid-axle-swap-tons-build-thread.html

Excellent...........I like how quiet it is too mine is loud with with a 4" twist race muffler after the down pipe and a full 4" sized muffler and system behind that.

My truck has the 3.5" downpipe to a 4" system. Theres a 4" muffler but it's a pass through type, so it doesn't do too much. Can't really hear it too much cuz the truck is so long lol. And in case anybody is curious, no. I will not be putting exhaust stacks on the truck.

Swap looks great. I look forward to seeing how you did the complicated stuff like copping up the core support. I think i'll put together a video like this when I get my burb and tools moved to their new home and the 6bt swap starts.

I have a build thread on pirate for the SAS, i'll post a link here, if linking to other messageboards is verboten, then mods, take it down. https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/che...-6-5td-solid-axle-swap-tons-build-thread.html
Now that there is one hell of nice SAS setup........I enjoyed the read.

Fellow,

Mine is very similar. However, I need to redo mine. I had to extend the upper radiator hose as the engine is not centered. So I think I'm going to purchase another core support from a junkyard & really make it nice before swapping it out. The other issue though is the intercooler has to be moved as well as it hugs the radiator. So both have to be shifted over to the passenger side as well as dropped down. Right now the rubber "legs" or locating dowels, whatever you wanna call them. The legs on the dodge radiator just sit on the 6.5 support. Theres no holes to locate them. Due to this, the radiator cap touches the hood.

My reason for not keeping the radiator centered with the truck is:
-extended upper radiator hose
- fan comes very close to shroud on the passenger side
-upper water neck touches driver battery
-radiator cap touches hood

Fellow,

Mine is very similar. However, I need to redo mine. I had to extend the upper radiator hose as the engine is not centered. So I think I'm going to purchase another core support from a junkyard & really make it nice before swapping it out. The other issue though is the intercooler has to be moved as well as it hugs the radiator. So both have to be shifted over to the passenger side as well as dropped down. Right now the rubber "legs" or locating dowels, whatever you wanna call them. The legs on the dodge radiator just sit on the 6.5 support. Theres no holes to locate them. Due to this, the radiator cap touches the hood.

My reason for not keeping the radiator centered with the truck is:
-extended upper radiator hose
- fan comes very close to shroud on the passenger side
-upper water neck touches driver battery
-radiator cap touches hood
I drilled my support for the Ram radiator and the CAC/IC sits flush with the leading edge of the support as you see in the image I posted I even left the diagonal supports in place too. The battery tray can be modified to allow the battery to be moved away from water neck.

Back