• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1995 K2500 Lower Control Arm Replacement Part Available?

DieselAmateur

She ain't revved 'til the rods are thrown...
Reaction score
I want to replace the passenger side lower control arm on my truck. The area where the ball joint gets pressed in is so worn that ball joints don't stay in anymore. Shops have been welding them in for me, but too often than not the idiot doing the job doesn't take the grease fitting orientation into account and I'm stuck with a ball joint I can't get a grease gun on, leading to premature failure and this endless cycle I want to get out of with a new lower control arm.

However I can't for the life of me find a new lower control arm for sale anywhere online. I don't know if this is a COVID thing, if the part was discontinued long ago, or never even offered as a replacement wear part. I found old threads talking about forged lower control arms with a part number 512-01591R but can only find used takeouts offered on eBay.

So I'm wondering if it is possible to get new replacement lower control arms for 4x4 trucks with torsion bars, or if I should stop wasting my time looking for a new part on the internet that doesn't exist. Thanks!

@MrMarty51 I see only Upper control arms listed for my K2500. Lower control arms are available for 2WD models on Rock Auto but not for 4x4, at least from what I'm seeing

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
looks like that one's made for a sedan, here's a picture of a used one on ebay, looks like I may be stuck trying to pull one from a wreck, or try my luck with the aforementioned ebay options...

Thank you for the confirmation @FellowTraveler. In looking at early 2000 model Sierras the lower control arms don't look nearly as beefy as the GMT400, even though the same control arm for a gasser Sierra is used on the Duramax. The shock mount appears to be in the same location and they still use torsion bars on the GMT800. Gotta think someone else had tried this by now though. I have a wrecked '99 K2500 in the hedgerow, although it's probably more worth my time to buy a used one online instead of taking half a day to wrestle with the wreck...

thanks for the help gentlemen, I also may just buy a newer model LCA and compare it to our old one, can always return within the window and just lose out on shipping

Thank you for the confirmation @FellowTraveler. In looking at early 2000 model Sierras the lower control arms don't look nearly as beefy as the GMT400, even though the same control arm for a gasser Sierra is used on the Duramax. The shock mount appears to be in the same location and they still use torsion bars on the GMT800. Gotta think someone else had tried this by now though. I have a wrecked '99 K2500 in the hedgerow, although it's probably more worth my time to buy a used one online instead of taking half a day to wrestle with the wreck...

thanks for the help gentlemen, I also may just buy a newer model LCA and compare it to our old one, can always return within the window and just lose out on shipping
I have reviewed all the newer control arms for the K2500 & K3500 1999-2010 and all are missing the cross bar that is present on the forged GMT425 & GMT435 control arms.

My Burb is a 1999 and most every parts book for 99 have only for for the 1999 and newer trucks even when I plug in my VIN # GM parts shows the 1999 newer generation parts only w/statement discontinued...

Perhaps someone who has upgraded to the newer generation brakes to a GMT400 series can chime in as to wither the parts bolt to the GMT400 series lower control arms or not.

I believe that as long as it is for the GMT400 series the parts will fit. Even like the 2000 CC like Mine.
After I bought My truck, before I seen it was the GMT400 series, i ordered a winter front cover for a 2000 year truck, believing it would be the newer body style. Wrong. 🤷‍♂️😹😹😹
The CC trucks of the K3500 series were still the GMT400 style.

I believe that as long as it is for the GMT400 series the parts will fit. Even like the 2000 CC like Mine.
After I bought My truck, before I seen it was the GMT400 series, i ordered a winter front cover for a 2000 year truck, believing it would be the newer body style. Wrong. 🤷‍♂️😹😹😹
The CC trucks of the K3500 series were still the GMT400 style.
As parts for GMT400 series become scarce it becomes important to protect them from the elements with good paint, powder coating ect, that's what I do now.

Just so anyone else searching for this info knows. On my 1995 k2500 I have found that the newer style 2500 arms will fit BUT- I had to unbolt the shock mount from the new arm and fab a custom one as the shock on the new trucks is vertical and the shock on the older truck leans forward at the top, (I realize this may not be a simple task for some but it can be done)

the part numbers I used are MEVOTECH Part# CMS50108 (left) and MEVOTECH Part# CMS50109 (right) these are for a "2000 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L V8 VIN:U" i would recommend changing them in sets as it may effect the ride height slightly (1/2'-1" higher at same torsion bar settings) but otherwise it works good and no issues at the alignment shop

Just so anyone else searching for this info knows. On my 1995 k2500 I have found that the newer style 2500 arms will fit BUT- I had to unbolt the shock mount from the new arm and fab a custom one as the shock on the new trucks is vertical and the shock on the older truck leans forward at the top, (I realize this may not be a simple task for some but it can be done)

the part numbers I used are MEVOTECH Part# CMS50108 (left) and MEVOTECH Part# CMS50109 (right) these are for a "2000 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L V8 VIN:U" i would recommend changing them in sets as it may effect the ride height slightly (1/2'-1" higher at same torsion bar settings) but otherwise it works good and no issues at the alignment shop
Thats some good information.
Welcome to the forum.

I harvested a clean pair of forged lower control arms from a ‘99 K2500 Suburban back in December for a forum member, but the shipping costs killed the deal. Still have them. They are all boxed up up and ready to ship but be prepared to pay over $300 for the pair with shipping.

Thanks for updating the thread @orangek2500, I meant to share that info too after learning about it in this vid

@Big T I may be interested in the good forged lowers. Probably have to wait until after tax time so I'll check back in with ya to see if they're still taking up room in your shop :)

Thanks for updating the thread @orangek2500, I meant to share that info too after learning about it in this vid

@Big T I may be interested in the good forged lowers. Probably have to wait until after tax time so I'll check back in with ya to see if they're still taking up room in your shop :)

They’re still waiting. Wish I could find a cheaper shipping alternative than FedEx.

@Big T for excrement and giggles, see what a carrier company like Central Transport or R&L carriers would charge. You'd just have to strap the control arms to a pallet and be able to load them into the semi, or get lucky and not get charged extra for a lift gate service.

I know it was in 2018 dollars, but it was literally like $237 for me to ship my crate P400 from western NY to Chris' shop in South Carolina and that was 800+ pounds. First used Central Transport, and later went with R&L since Central Transport has awful communication and customer service. I'd have to imagine there's got to be a cheaper way to ship your control arms than what FedEx/ UPS/ USPS would charge by going the commercial shipping route.

@Big T for excrement and giggles, see what a carrier company like Central Transport or R&L carriers would charge. You'd just have to strap the control arms to a pallet and be able to load them into the semi, or get lucky and not get charged extra for a lift gate service.

I know it was in 2018 dollars, but it was literally like $237 for me to ship my crate P400 from western NY to Chris' shop in South Carolina and that was 800+ pounds. First used Central Transport, and later went with R&L since Central Transport has awful communication and customer service. I'd have to imagine there's got to be a cheaper way to ship your control arms than what FedEx/ UPS/ USPS would charge by going the commercial shipping route.

Thanks, I will revisit this in March when I’m back down in Fullerton CA.

Back