• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1995 454 and 4l80e into a 1992 k3500??

emcdonnel

Reaction score
My 1992 k3500 has a blown transmission and a weak high mileage 454.

I found a motorhome with 18,000 miles as a donar. It's a 1995.

I think the motor would swap, but the 1995 transmission has different electric transmission controls.

Could I change the TCM in my 1992 to control the 1995 transmission if I swap it in?

I think the answer is mostly no. I have read quite a few posts on the transmission swaps and I still aint got it right. LOL
Welcome to thetruckstop emcdonnel.

Thanks guys!

I think the RV was 2wd, does that eliminate the swap? I thought if the T-case would bolt up, that's where 4wd comes in...

Anyone else have a thought on how to put a 95 2wd RV 4l80e into a 92 k3500? Specifically, if adding a transmission control unit, and a wire harness would allow a swap..

Wonderful! I've read several his posts. Is there a way to contact Thefermanator, or will he swing by? He's great with explaining why things work, or how to make them work. That takes a lot of knowledge!

Hey Thefermanator, @THEFERMANATOR , could you throw a quick glance at my situation above and please share a tiny bit of your experience?
Many thanks!
I also sent you a direct message I think, more info on that post.
Thanks again!

The tailpiece for the 4x4 is not a "bolt on" to the 2wd tranny. You must disassemble the two transmissions and pull the cores out in order to swap the tailshafts from 2wd to the 4wd (they are NOT the same) in order to bolt the transfer case onto the new transmission. There are other compatibility issues, too. You're better off either buying a reman tranny or pulling the 4wd and having a local shop do it.

If the 4l80e has a slip yoke full splined output shaft, you can cut it down with a cutoff wheel to work for a 4x4. If it has a bolt on yoke(which an RV with external parking brake does), it is only partially splined. 91-93 is basically it's own trans and 94+ is another. As I posted in the PM, you would have to change fuel pumps as 95 is a high pressure tbi(30-38) and 92 is low pressure(8-13). You would have to repin your PCM to the 95's 7427, add in the 4 low input wire, get another transfer case as your 92 doesn't provide a 4 low output, swap your 92's DRAC to a 95 VSSB, and have to completely disassemble the trans on top of it to change output shafts. And after all that you will have a noisy trans because 4l80e's in RV's and other medium duty applications have straight cut planetary gears. Most people don't want them because straight cut gears are weaker, but they work better in high load applications since the straight cut gears don't end load.

WOW! Many thanks for donating your experience and expertise to us. You have saved me a few weeks of work and about $4000! Thanks! When the time comes, I'll pay it forward.
In the meantime, I'll have my old transmission rebuilt and put it in myself.
Thanks again @THEFERMANATOR

Back