• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1993 K2500 five speed tranny problem s

DUSTINS6.5

Reaction score
So my 6.5 lost fifth gear about 3 months ago I've been driving it on just 4 but just the other day me and the wife were testing out my new tires and all the sudden I hear a grinding from my trans I shifted to a lower gear but nothing changed for about five mins then it went away..... HELP

5th out like it goes into gear position but doesn't transfer power to driveshaft. The 5th gear has a nut that can vibrate loose and the gear moves back out of alignment so it doesn't mesh.

Its more prevalent on Dodge trucks and I think a vibration -harmonic thing. It is suppose to be worse if Dodge trucks lug it. They make a fix for it. One I think is called a King Nut King shaft or something. Most NV4500 sites will list it as an upgrade to 5th gear.

I don't know I guess depends on the wear/age and how long you want to postpone a rebuild.

I have had problem with clutch, pilot bearing, and input bearing/shaft that shortered mines life. 3rd gear synchro seemed to be a bit worn but otherwise my transmission was fine.

I dropped it and took mine to a shop to rebuild. Other guys will post what they saw on the inside.

Back