• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1991 V3500 4L80E OD problem

AKLVTLO

Reaction score
Hi new to the forum and thanks for the add. 1991 V3500 crew cab tbi 350, np205, 4L80E. Having trouble with the OD not staying in OD. My observation when the truck is cold or I should say when the trans isn't hot, for a brief second it will shift normal into 4th OD for a short period. Not under a load, flat straight road. But it is short lived and shifts out of OD into 3rd. The trans doesn't slip. The fluid doesn't smell burnt. The fluid is a clean light pink. Trans still feels strong but no OD. What might be the problem? It doesn't sound major. Just drove it 3k miles from Alaska to Oregon that way. Still have to drive it to Vegas. Plan on getting service done before I leave and to see if they can pull a code.

Most common causes of no 4th gear is a temp sensor issue(engine or trans) followed by tps problems. You really need to check it for codes though as that system normally doesn't turn on the check engine light for trans codes.

Back