• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1954 3100 Blinkers.

Curtkvam

1954 Chev 3100
Reaction score
I have a 1954 Chevy 3100 and would like to install factory type blinkers. Im looking for all the steering wheel blinker components. I plan on installing double pole light sockets in the front running light. Any help on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!

welcome to thetruckstop.
That is a mighty fine looking specimen of a 54 You got there.

I just dont quite remember, it seems to Me that all the blinker light switches I seen in those older trucks might have been like a add on looking affair.
Turn signal switch hung off the left side of the steer column and it had the indicator lamps self contained on the front of the switch assembly.
It also seemed there was some sort of a device that when pulled out, in the direction of the TS lever, it would activate the four way flashers.
All the ones I seen was a chrome looking affair and had like a hose clamp holding them to the steer column tube. 🤷‍♂️

I have a 1954 Chevy 3100 and would like to install factory type blinkers. Im looking for all the steering wheel blinker components. I plan on installing double pole light sockets in the front running light. Any help on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!
I'm old enough to remember when pickups of that vintage were still daily drivers in my youth. Turn signals were not a factory standard equipment, nor option, but were a Dealer-installed option using an aftermarket kit or owner-installed using the same available aftermarket kits. @MrMarty51 is spot on in his remembrance and bringing up the eBay find Signal-Stat. It used the existing rear brake lights for the rear signals and most often used separate, bumper drilled and pedestal mounted round amber light for the front turn signals. They are period correct. I remember when my late father took his '52 Studebaker pickup to the Hershey National car show. One of the judges was going to deduct points for the 'non original' turn signals with the column mounted turn signal unit - until he "reminded" the judge that Dealer-installed non-factory options were perfectly acceptable and not a deductible item.

I remember JC Whitney's carried those units in their catalogs well into the early 90's, which is the last time I probably looked through one of their catalogs.

There were no 'factory' turn signals available for your Chevy, just aftermarket setups like the Signal Stat.

When I was scrounging through ebay, there was a TS switch, an actual real old one, with that was the add on signal lamps. The seller was totally out of his mind, I think he was wanting to get between 5 and 6 hundred bucks for the kit. At what @Husker6.5 was saying, reminded Me of some of the old pickups and cars having those little turn signals lamps mounted to the top of the front fenders.

Thanks for the advise. I think I’ll be getting the strap-on kit but will be replacing double-pole sockets in the running lights for the blinkers. I saw where I can get amber covers, instead of the clear/white covers it was now.

Back