• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1941 Chevrolet AL

Bisonironworks

Reaction score
New to forum. Building a 1941 Chevrolet AL ( 3/4T) pickup. Am putting a 1996 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 chassis under it. Have an LS1 5.7l engine for it. Have not decided on what transmission to use. Any suggestions? Am converting the rear brakes to disc brakes so it will have 4-wheel disc brakes. Just started disassembling the '41.

View attachment 67718
A few weeks ago before I got it in the garage so I could take it apart. Had to find a place to store the '57 Chevy first.

I see that it already has a good set of parking brakes, so what is with the rear disk conversion? :)

For the transmission, end goal of a rat-rod is screaming stick. But maybe that is just me.

New to forum. Building a 1941 Chevrolet AL ( 3/4T) pickup. Am putting a 1996 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 chassis under it. Have an LS1 5.7l engine for it. Have not decided on what transmission to use. Any suggestions? Am converting the rear brakes to disc brakes so it will have 4-wheel disc brakes. Just started disassembling the '41.

Welcome to The Truck Stop. A very interesting project that you are about to start. We just love watching those projects progress step by step and seeing the end result....:)

If going automatic- decision is easy. 4l80e. Best auto trans ever made, handles crazy power if needed, smooth shift, can be done as 6 speed easy if 4 isn’t enough. Simple stand alone controller.

But... rat rod isn’t about daily driving comfort and relaxing drive... Old school stick that makes the engine scream running at 65mph and a stiff clutch. Old straight cut super T 10, 4 speed comes to mind. If you go manual it HAS TO be one you can slam gears in for the fun of it without worrying about damage.

Welcome aboard! keep us updated with plenty of photos. we all love to see these builds. I second the 4l80E if going to an automatic. with doing an LS motor, you'll need a OBD2 PCM and wire harness which you probably know. I believe it can be tuned to control the tranny with what ever shift points you like plus tweaked timing and fueling for the fast and most furious. there's guys here that can tune it for you too.

Welcome to The Truck Stop. Cool project. Start up a build thread in project central with lots of pictures. We'll all enjoy it and you'll probably get a bunch of advice on how to spend your $...😁

Back