• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

09 Toyota

Twisted Steel Performance

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
Reaction score
My wife's car, a year or 2 ago it developed a bog or hesitation when the throttle was pushed from a stop, like a red light.. We took it to the dealer, they said #2 cylinder coil pack was bad, replaced it, bill was 800-1000$... my bad that time...

Now it's doing it again, I'll burn the thing before I take it to the dealer again..

So, what will I need to find to diagnose what is wrong myself, she said the check light did come on so some type of code reader may tell me..

Advice please....

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ive got a cheapie OBDII reader from Harbor Freight that has well served its purpose, yes there is better though. If it is a misfire issue the reader should narrow the cylinder down for you. Replace the coil pack on that cylinder (if in fact the code is a duplicate of previous) and reset the code.

I'm going to get pa lesser costing scanner, my next question is what brand would be preferred for a Toyota ? I see RA the cost of coil pack range from 20 - 100$...

I've been using an Actron OBDII scanner for many years and it's never failed on any brand. Think I paid about a buck and a quarter for a relatively advanced feature unit. No live data though.

I bought a cheapy $15-20 one on amazon that i can leave in a car or loan out without sweating it. I haven’t found anything it didn’t read yet, but haven’t looked into abs systems with it. Wifes 07 Toyota had evap leak and it picked it up no problem. Read issues in dodge truck truck injector issue, audi w/ turbo issue, probably half a dozen other things.
I figured once that can’t do what I need it to I will get another one that is bidirectional and costs a few hundred. Until then-why bother.

I have owned some of the most advanced scanners out there up for the first couple years can bus went big. They take a while to connect. Then it is nice to have a million options, but going through everything takes more time. That cheesy little one is like 10 seconds and you have the code written down and erased. Then google on the phone is as fast as finding the description in the scanner.

The new Autel bluetooth unit is pretty epic. It reads the specific data you traditionally needed very expensive tools to access. For example, it'll read airbag codes on a 2020 F150 and the Wheel speed sensors on a 1998 K3500. Only limitation...it's not bi-directional. (can't send commands)

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-Blueto...t=&hvlocphy=9005917&hvtargid=pla-838366165169
That's the one You led Me into, I`m very happy and impressed. I never thought I would ever find a simple tool that would read and show the timing on the 6.5.

That's the one You led Me into, I`m very happy and impressed. I never thought I would ever find a simple tool that would read and show the timing on the 6.5.

Pretty much the best DIY scanner on the market now IMO. Since it reads all the manufacturer specific modules, codes, and live data, you can't lose. And you get basic graphing capabilities in their app as well. People assume it's just another cheap OBD reader but it's in a league of its own.

@quadstar87 Yes it is.
I still have not figured out getting the PID files into the torque pro app but I have not worked on it too much too. LOL Just been about the right temps that I want to stay in the house. LOL

If you have an Advance Auto ir Oreilly's around you they will scan it for you free if charge.
Are you getting a CEL?

Yelp, a few years ago when one of my glowplugs went out I went by Advance. The nice lady that worked there scanned my truck, verifying what I already suspected since my curly cue, wait to start light was acting up.

FWIW, when using URL's from the 'jungle', might consider chopping all text after the product identifier. The product ID is fairly easy to spot as it is '... dp/XXXXXXXXX/'. Everything after that is some form of big-brother tracking.

Here is the working example:

Not as easy to do the chopping with a mobile device, but it is still workable.

Back