• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

07 Allison

It can be done from the outside, but your chances of nicking or scratching the shaft are about 90%. Then it will leak worse than it does now. The best way to do it is to drop the valve body, remove the shift shaft retaining pin, slide the shift shaft out through the IMS, and then replace the seal. Another thing I have found you can do that is easy, is to go to NAPA and buy a shift shaft seal from them(it is narrower than the OEM one). Then install that shift shaft seal into the trans and push teh other one in when you do it. Theres enough depth in there for 2 seals so long as you use a narrow one. Just make sure and deburr the shift shaft THOROUGHLY before you try and put the new seal in. Where teh shift shaft arm atatches the shaft flattens over and it will cut the new seal unless you deburr it.

It can be done from the outside, but your chances of nicking or scratching the shaft are about 90%. Then it will leak worse than it does now. The best way to do it is to drop the valve body, remove the shift shaft retaining pin, slide the shift shaft out through the IMS, and then replace the seal. Another thing I have found you can do that is easy, is to go to NAPA and buy a shift shaft seal from them(it is narrower than the OEM one). Then install that shift shaft seal into the trans and push teh other one in when you do it. Theres enough depth in there for 2 seals so long as you use a narrow one. Just make sure and deburr the shift shaft THOROUGHLY before you try and put the new seal in. Where teh shift shaft arm atatches the shaft flattens over and it will cut the new seal unless you deburr it.
Sounds like a plan!
Thanks Therm

I might try this! Mine does the same but is never really low on fluid so I never worried but sliding an extra seal on the shaft sounds doable until it shells out!

I ran the double seal on mine for over a year until I had my trans out so I get my shifta shaft retaining pin out(early trannies used a pressed in roll pin that does NOT like to come out, later trannies use a pin that pushes in by hand due to the IMS requiring shift shaft removal to replace).

Back