• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

06 Brakes

CtChevy427

Still Kicking....
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
Looking into doing brakes for the first time. Is there enough meat on the rotors to have them cut or should they just be replaced.

Mic em and see. The factory rotors are pretty beefy normally, but aftermarkets are THIN out of the box.

Rotors are cheap. If they need turning you might as well replace. I didn't turn my fronts but the RR caliper hung up and ruined the rears so I replaced both.

If you do replace them, get them from the stealership. Aftermarket ones suck. Shimmy disks should've the autozone brand name.

Had to have the two rotors replaced on the rear of mine a few months ago. Pads were still good, but surface rust had taken a toll. I looked at them and could tell that the pads were not making good contact with the rotors. Went ahead and got new pads also. Stealer said they could not turn them the way they were. Got it wrote down somewhere but I can't remember what they were a piece. I thought they would have been more than what they were.

It made a difference in braking. My truck had developed a pretty good vibration under hard braking like you get with a warped rotor. That is gone now.

RAYBESTOS professional grade is teh same thing you will get from GM for half the cost. GM doesn't build there rotors and pads, they buy them from RAYBESTOS for most everything.

Back