• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

03 duramax gauge cluster not working totally right

Landon730

Reaction score
My 03 has had issues with the cluster since I bought it. It will turn on every single morning when you first start the truck for the day. If you don't kill it, they stay on and always work correctly. If you kill the truck 90% of the time they won't turn on the rest of the day. Sometimes if you drive the truck for a hour - hour and a half the kill it and start it again they will turn on. Most the time not though. Then some days they will work all day (they do take 30 seconds - 2 minutes to turn on but will everytime you start and run the truck). Completely stumped. At first I thought the ignition switch was faulty and getting stuck in the START position but the radio and blower all run. Just don't want to spend the $120 on a cluster rebuild for it to be something else.

You most likely have either a failing power supply or broken/cold solder, but since you say it stays on once it's on, I would be leaning towards a failing power supply broken/cold solders will normally turn off and on going over bumps or tapping the cluster. I've redone close to 30 of those clusters, and I've only run across that problem once. Ended up sending it out since I couldn't find a power supply to install in it.

You most likely have either a failing power supply or broken/cold solder, but since you say it stays on once it's on, I would be leaning towards a failing power supply broken/cold solders will normally turn off and on going over bumps or tapping the cluster. I've redone close to 30 of those clusters, and I've only run across that problem once. Ended up sending it out since I couldn't find a power supply to install in it.
Ok Ill just find a new cluster. Does the ECM store the mileage? I noticed even when its off the mileage still counts, just updates on the cluster when it turns on.

Back