• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

01 duramax intermittent transmission problem

Reaction score
Starting this past weekend I noticed when shifting my truck from reverse to drive I heard a load clunk. Then the trans went into safe mode and the check engine light came on. Checked trans fluid. Was down a Qt. drove the truck for a while problem went away. Monday took the truck to work drove on the highway all day no problem. Later Monday went to drive the truck, problem was back! Pulled OBD codes showed P0700, P0847,P1713, Few minutes later truck ran fine. This has been going on all day today sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Now P0733 and P1711 are added to the list of codes. Any suggestions ?

Welcome To TTS Ted!

Hey guys I work with Ted and referred him here to help with his Allison issue. He plows with me on the same route.

How many miles on it Ted?

can you give an idea what mileage, mods(chips tuners etc...)

Po700 Trans Ctrl Sys Error
This code states that we have a trans problem ( all 700 codes relate to drivetrain) and you need to read on to find all the related codes. When I say read on, I mean scan further because P0700 only tells you which computer picked up the problem. In this case it is the TCM ( transmission control module).

P0847 Tran Fluid Pres Sensor/Switch B Circ Lo
this is for Transmission pressure switch d stuck closed. This code can be caused by any of the following 1)A short in the wiring for the pressure switch D circut,Which would be wire "202" pin 2 in the red connector at the transmission TCM,"Mounted to the radiator" Or 2) A Defective D solenoid 3)A sticking shift valve in the valve body. If the code only becomes active during plowing, it more likely will be a short in the wiring from the transmission control module to the transmission.

DTC P1713 sets when PARK, NEUTRAL, or a forward range has been selected and the reverse pressure switch remains in the mechanically closed/electrically on position for a period of time that is calibration dependent.

DTCPO733 [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This is a trany fault code and the first thing you should check is your tps sensor using your DVOM meter. Measuring the voltages between idle and WOT (wide open throttle), there should be no interruption in the reading (or glitches). Otherwise, it can play havoc to your shifting cycles which can cause this code P0733. If there are glitches, replace the tps sensor right away and reset the code. If trany is suspected, most common fix for this points to a defective valve body. To verify, it can be done by using a scanner which has the capacity to command the trany solenoids so it can be tested at various trany operating pressures.

note:
[/FONT]If your speed sensors check out ok it could be C1 and C3 clutch damage...

P1711 is for E circiut stuck closed,
checking the connections at the transmission TCM mounted to the back of the drivers side radiator shroud and also the connection at the transmission bulkhead, at the back of the transmission above the pan rail. This could also be the pressure switch being is loose on the valve body,or a bad internal wiring harness, or the switch itself "though unlikely" could be the cause.

or could be as simple as a bad NSBU switch...

of course if you are running a tuner and such you may have killed the tranny...

Welcome To TTS Ted!

Hey guys I work with Ted and referred him here to help with his Allison issue. He plows with me on the same route.

How many miles on it Ted?

since he plows with it and is probably exposed to a lot of salt and snow mix, it could be packing up on the NSBU switch...it could be as simple as corrosion on those contacts or that the switch could have ice built up in the contacts...or the switch itself could be bad...

Matt,

What about mods?

Stock.

All Stock.

Possibly larger than stock tires.

He was also talking about something being messed up with the way his parking lights aren't going off when they usually do out of park or gear ?? I noticed his selection display didn't read the same as his actually PRND31 at times. Somewhere around neightborood of 127,000miles. Hes owned it for most its life.

That's got NSBU written all over it then Matt. There's been alot of connector problems over the years (as well as switch failures) with the plowing guys on that generation of them before they moved the NSBU inside.
Check the connector 1st as Pepp suggested.

now that we know there is no mods...yeah the shift indicator kinda screams NSBU switch...either connections or the switch itself...

If it is the NSBU, I'm surprised he did not get the range shift inhibited message in the cluster...that's odd...

now that we know there is no mods...yeah the shift indicator kinda screams NSBU switch...either connections or the switch itself...

If it is the NSBU, I'm surprised he did not get the range shift inhibited message in the cluster...that's odd...

I don't know if the 01-02's get the range shift message or not as they have a different cluster set-up than the 03+. Buy your NSBU switch from an ALLISON dealer as it is a MUCH better switch and it costs ALOT less than GM will want for it. Also you will need a small file to clean up the end of the shift shaft before you put the new switch on or else you WILL destroy it.

01 duramax

Thanks Matt and everyone for their input to this problem. The truck has 122k on it. It is completely stock. I will start by checking for corrosion, poor elec.contacts ect. then check the nsbu switch and tps senser. Thanks again!

I don't know if the 01-02's get the range shift message or not as they have a different cluster set-up than the 03+. Buy your NSBU switch from an ALLISON dealer as it is a MUCH better switch and it costs ALOT less than GM will want for it. Also you will need a small file to clean up the end of the shift shaft before you put the new switch on or else you WILL destroy it.

You know I can't recall if either Steve or I got that message in the cluster...I thought one of us did...Steve has an 02'

Although it took an extra day for the nsbu switch to arrive at my local Allison dealer. The savings compared to a G.M. dealer far out weighed the inconvenience of not having my truck for a day. Installed it cleared all the codes and everything is back to normal. Again I thank everyone for their help and maybe some day I can return the favor. Now if any one is a expert on a HD Sony VVEGA TV with a bad power supply I'm listening.

Back