• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Is My Injection Pump Bad?

It took a little longer to get it done than I expected, I did a bunch of other things to the old heap whilst I had it torn up and ended up waiting on parts over and over again. Well it's in now and running great. I installed a fuel pressure gauge on my a-pillar so I can always monitor the LP rather than the random check under the hood. I took it on a long test drive but I haven't been using the truck enough to give it a good test yet as I'm still waiting on parts. I've had numerous issues for at least the past 8 years (maybe all the way back to when I installed the S&S Diesel IP); occasional fishbites, having to crank it for extended periods for it to start after only being shut down for a short time (this seems to have evolved into the no start when hot), stepper motor codes that would come and go, and it sometimes acted as if there was air in the fuel lines. I once had removed the fuel tank and the lines the all the way to the IP hooked them all together, pressurized them with air and dunked them in water to look for bubbles, no leaks but still the problem persisted. I now believe the IP was the cause of all of these and am optimistic that it's finally fixed, I just hope the AC Delco remanufactured pump holds up since you can't get new ones anymore.

Stupid cheap simple things first: Is the lift pump working? Yes, put a pressure gauge on the water drain and "0" can be a vacuum. How old is the fuel filter? What does the diesel from the filter water drain look and smell like: aka water or gasoline smell?

Bad lift pumps, kinked hoses, internal hose flappers...

And when it's all said and done get a NEW IP this time.

New IPs no longer exist.

Back