• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 Chevy Cheyenne 3500 Stalling and No-start

Okay this is getting to be close to the top of my pay grade but I'm going to give this a shot as well. I bought a new meter the other day because both of my crapped out so I just went ahead and got a brand new meter yesterday because yesterday because my other two crapped out, and I hit the third one with a sledgehammer because it was one of those freebies from Harbor Freight. I can say this... When I would unplug the sensor that's on top of the engine intake plenum, it basically has a red grommet on it and it plugs right into the top of the motor and has what I think is a 3-pin plug.. for some reason for the last year or so before all this S#&# started, I noticed that I noticed that when I unplugged it sometimes it would start right up. Other times when I plugged it back in it would start right up. So I would go back and forth from the driver's seat to the plug on a daily basis I was assuming that it went bad so I just replaced it with a new one so it is brand new but the old one might not be bad like you said it might be the wiring. From the position of this sensor, I'm assuming that it probably regulates gas and air flow? That is no Bueno if it was bad so....got a new one on. I noticed there's another one that looks very similar looking sensor on the driver side firewall almost right where the windshield wipers are. Thing is, there is a air hole or a breather hole on this sensor and there's no tube hooked up to it. I have never seen one hooked up to it but when I took it off to inspect it one day I noticed there was no air tube on it I wonder if I have a tube missing from this sensor

If unplugging a sensor is helping it start and run then maybe we should focus on there. That could be your whole issue and be the cause of the 57 code you posted.

One more question does is smoke white white cranking? If so then that could be a GP or IP issue. You said in your original post if you jumped the GP relay it would start. If jumping the relay helps then its not a issue with the plugs but more of GP control issue.

So if it smokes and jumping the relay helps then I its a GP control issue.

If it smokes and jumping the relay DOESN'T help then that indicates a GP or IP issue.

And if you have no smoke then its not a GP issue. Trying to help narrow this down so you don't replace more parts for no reason.

Again, we were talking about when trying to START his vehicle, since early on in his post thread he had talked about battery issues and no matter how long he cranked, it wouldn't start. It was a warning NOT to try a glow plug cycle and start off a charger. Throwing out superfluous information on your part, like post-start short glow cycling in cold weather, is meaningless to the issue at hand. You being a smartass little punk is not helping him, either. I've been wrenching on 6.2/6.5's since the first CUCV's came into inventory in the military, probably before you were born. If his vehicle was running, he wouldn't be here in the first place seeking help, now would he?

If you're trying to win the award for F*cking *sshole of the Year, you're well on your way. Oh, and BTW, my SnapOn cabinet and chest set was free to me. And my 55 year old SnapOn ½" drive torque wrench I was using clear back in the 1960's still holds calibration every time it's been checked and serviced by the local SnapOn dealer.

I brought that up because you stated that GP are ONLY supposed to operate at battery voltage. But AGAIN that's not 100% correct. For one the factory GP are 6v and are powered with 12v to heat them faster. From the factory they are doubling the voltage to the GP. regular GP cycles with a battery tender or small buzz box hooked up will not damage the GP unless they are already compromised and on their way out already. Or if they are held on for an extended period of time. Also If some one upgraded the truck to 12v GP then they will handle the higher voltage even better.

Again What F*ck is your problem dude. You come after me for helping the guy like a technician instead of a shade tree mechanic. When he already stated he couldn't find a good mechanic to help, so here I am. I gave the guy a complete run down of how to test this thing and what to look for. That's more than you did for the guy, I expected someone twice my age and sooo many years of experience on these engines to have a better understanding of how this engine works. Intead you made a scene and got upset at me like a child.

Back