• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Do You Really Need A Heavy Duty Truck?

Ummm....NEED...ok probably not... Had this argument with my brother the other day..he doesn't get why I'm selling a 03 grand am in great condition that gets 24 to the gallon below bluebook by a long shot to get the cash to dump into my 1997 1 ton crew cab dually 6.5 diesel that gets 10 to the gallon.the dually is my daily driver.... me, Wife and kid are about as much as it's hauled in awhile...(ok I went and got a fridge the other day) but I haven't done any real work with it in a long time...
Maybe it's just me..it probably is..or maybe it's a guy thing.....I just want to drive something like that. .. something big and intimidating..to me it kinda defines who I am...I know that's childish..but honestly I don't give a crap...I'll gladly waste the money on fuel and expensive parts on a truck that keeps breaking down..before I'd drive that little soccer mom car....we inherited it from wife's grandmother..I drove it once around a block to diagnose a problem with it when grandma was alive..other than that, it's sat...I don't want it..I don't want to be seen driving it...it's gotta go...the big fuel guzzling beast must live...
So no most of us don't NEED a heavy duty truck...we WANT them... It's pay to play at its best.

I have drove and rode in them little crapper cars and pickups. When passing, or getting passed by a big rig, a real truck, a semi unit, I always think, dang, I hope he dont swerve for some reason or another.
When I am in My K3500 CC LB and I am passing, or being passed by a semi rig, I think, dang, I hope he dont swerve for some reason.
I know the results in either would not be great but, I would much rather take my chances in the taller heavier unit than a crapper car/pickup.
Nope, I have nothing to haul, not even a real trailer anymore, I just love my truck, the wifey does too. I dont think she would let me get rid of it if I wanted too, unless it was for something of equal size or bigger. 😹

I have drove and rode in them little crapper cars and pickups. When passing, or getting passed by a big rig, a real truck, a semi unit, I always think, dang, I hope he dont swerve for some reason or another.
When I am in My K3500 CC LB and I am passing, or being passed by a semi rig, I think, dang, I hope he dont swerve for some reason.
I know the results in either would not be great but, I would much rather take my chances in the taller heavier unit than a crapper car/pickup.
Nope, I have nothing to haul, not even a real trailer anymore, I just love my truck, the wifey does too. I dont think she would let me get rid of it if I wanted too, unless it was for something of equal size or bigger. 😹
My wife and me love the old Burb but I do admit I have a little modified Miata and a Busa in the corral too...

You're wife wants something bigger too? JK :happy:

Haven't clicked the link yet. I guess I will, but I fully expect it to be just more stupidity of the type I have come to expect from the mainstream auto rags. Kinda like the people who say something like "all you really need is a Prius;" just maybe not quite that extreme. I won't be surprised if they think a fullsize half ton pickup is a "heavy duty truck."

But I wanted to answer the question based on my take, before even looking at the article. I know the term heavy duty truck means class 7-8, a 1-1/2 ton up to 5 ton is a medium truck, and up to a 1 ton is a light truck. Some people consider 1 ton and up to be a medium truck. I don't, but whatever.

So, do I need a heavy duty truck? Not really, although I would like to have something like an Autocar tractor or maybe an old flatnose with a 2 cycle Detroit in it. I definitely need a 1 ton pickup, though. And in fact, for hauling anything very heavy I really prefer a 1-1/2 ton. Especially considering how light most "1 ton" pickups are now. I have an F350 4x4 and let me tell you, it's not heavy enough for real work. I prefer Chevy, but their current 3500HD won't cut it for me either. Can't afford one anyway, but still.
That's why I searched out and bought a real 3500HD, in the form of my 1995 C3500HD. The new 3500HD is just a name, but the old ('92-'02 or thereabouts) C3500HD is a 1-1/2 ton medium truck. It rides pretty rough when it's empty, but with 3000 lbs on the back it is completely in its element.
And I could strap 4 crushed Priuses on the back and it would still probably get 15 mpg.

ETA: So, I went and read the article. It was about what I expected. I thought it was pretty funny, especially when he said he probably overloaded it with gravel and then went on to say that he could haul the same load of gravel with a Honda Ridgeline pulling a utility trailer. It reminded me of the time I loaded so much sand on a C60 flatbed dump, that the front wheels were popping off the ground as I hauled it up a mountain. Try that with your Ridgeline.

Last edited:
Back