• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1998 k2500 brake.system suck anything i can do? ?

jetboat36

Reaction score
Got a 1998 chevy k2500 but im.very disapointed about the brake system 88-98 is bad so anything i can change to get better brake ? Should i change the master cylinder and the hydroboost for better one? I was thinkimg to install.the disk brake kit in the rear thanks a lot for the help.

First off are the rear brakes even working. Not a question. The auto adjusters aren't. You need to tighten them up every other oil change. Any oil leaking from old seals on the shoes?

What brand of pad do you have on the front? Hint it needs to be a semi metallic and at least ACDelco, Raybestos or Wagner. The house brands are a race to cheap at most auto parts stores and affect stopping distance. Rear shoes also are affected by this and need to be top of the line name brand not Autozonekrap's finest house brand turd in a box.

A brake system flush and making sure there isn't any air in the system is also a cheap problem to fix.

I assume this is a pickup as the SUV's had a revised proportioning valve to put more pressure to the rears.

The rear brake is adjusted and no oil leak im a mechanic my truck is always in shape but the brake system suck big time i did my research and 88-98 they are the worse im gonna need to change the hydro boost for.a newer like 2007 i heard they are much better and convert the drum to disck brake in the rear

The 1/2 tons are actually worse... Regardless @Big T did a GMT800 conversion here:

Seems like Ferm talked about using the 1 ton master cylinder for the bigger piston in it
The 3500hd's booster bolts right in. I have one in my Burb and it took some getting used to the extra assist.

The master can be used, but after I looked into it closer, they reversed the fittings on it. It uses a 1/2"x20 on the front and 9/16"x18 for the rear, all other trucks have a 9/16"x18 in front and 1/2"x20 for the rear. It would probably be worth it as it is massive. Vacuum booster is 1 1/8" bore, hydroboost trucks are 1 1/4", nbs 1500's are 1.34"(that's the large one that most swap in), nbs hydroboost 8 lugs is 1.46, but the 3500hd gmt400 is 1 9/16".

Back