• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

C3500HD Tow pig

I got a OBD1 cable with the other end is usb. Is that what you need?

That's what is supposed to be in the mail. Not a rush though since my laptop isn't able to use the software as mentioned above.

On the final trip down for the move. Taking slower over 3 days, stopped in Moab Utah for the night.

Gorgeous country! Sunrises are absolutely stunning with the low light angle on the sides of the mesas, canyon walls and cliff faces bringing out the colors of the sandstones, shales and limestones of the geologic strata in that part of the Four Corners region.

Made it to the lake. The camper was the lightest weight of the 3 trips, but on highway 84 from northern New Mexico down to Sweetwater Texas had a crosswind that just, damn haha. 70-80 degrees outside, topped out at 55mph, and temps constant at 220F with the heater on. Pretty sure the engine chugged 3 quarts of oil on that stretch as well since I did an oil change after the trip and only drained 3 quarts from the oil pan (larger filter holds 2 quarts for a normal total of 8 now).

Starts/drives normally after that load with no blowby or blue exhaust smoke.

Familiar with the wind resistance and towing, just didn't expect it to slow things down more than a 6000 pound weight difference on nearly flat terrain there haha. Both previous trips on that section with heavier loads was 60mph with no temp problems and power to spare. Compared to balls to the wall 55mph with the heater on to help with temps and barely maintaining 220F. Other parts of the trip it did well enough at 60mph, about 8-10mpg towing the 5th wheel. That section, went through 80 gallons of fuel in 350 miles, basically 4mpg at 55mph.

Truck has developed an exhaust leak. Might accelerate the new exhaust plans by the sounds of it. Can't hear it driving normally, only when the passenger side of the vehicle is near a wall and the sound echos.

Looks like I found the exhaust leak, crossover pipe where it bolts to the passenger side manifold. Going to replace it with the diamond eye unit and get it ceramic coated, help with some performance but mostly to help the clutch hydraulics from getting cooked yet again

Found 2 problems with the cooling system today. Towed the flatbed across town to drop off the service bed at the new owners place and it was staying at 200-205 coolant temps. There's a slight dribble coming out of the heater hose fitting on the thermostat housing, and the fan clutch has died. Easily free spins when the engine is still warm.

@red , Thanks for emailing me about the coating, it will help, but not as much as header wrap will, and if you spray the wrap very well with high temp silicon and cure it that will keep some moisture out.. I'll be glad to coat things but my crossover will be wrapped...

Sounds like a good excuse to do the AKdd fan clutch mod and have great control over engagement temp including the override on switch.

Money is a bit tight right now after the move. My water pump uses the 4 bolt fan clutch so sticking with stock for now there.

Swapping out the leaking fitting for a typical hose barb, that will likely happen once I know the hose size.

@red , Thanks for emailing me about the coating, it will help, but not as much as header wrap will, and if you spray the wrap very well with high temp silicon and cure it that will keep some moisture out.. I'll be glad to coat things but my crossover will be wrapped...

Sounds good, do I need to order a crossover pipe and send it to you, or just order from you? Figure any little bit will help that clutch hydraulic system live longer.

Pics from recent shenanigans. Sold the small service bed off the trailer and moving boulders for the driveway build.

20200510_182239.jpg20200509_145954.jpg

That should be ⅝" ID for the heater hose, IIRC. I think that GM was using metric hose by then, so it would be a 15mm ID hose, just a hair smaller than ⅝", which should make for a good, snug fit on a ⅝" hose nipple. Should be a ⅝" barb x ½" male pipe thread fitting.

With the current budget going to have to pass on the internal coating of the crossover pipe. The extra expenses from the move did a number on the credit cards/score that I won't have corrected for about 2 months.

Been soaking the exhaust bolts for the past 3 days along with driving. 5 of the bolts came out easy, 1 snapped on the driver side manifold but was thankfully exposed. Welded a nut to it and voila. The donut on the passenger side is gone minus the inner ring which seems stuck to the manifold. Those gaskets are on the way, arriving friday.

20200609_164343.jpg20200609_164754.jpg

Woohoo gaskets arrived early. Did initial install of the 2 piece diamond eye crossover pipe, removed then wrapped it up. Reinstalled with the 5 bolts for now and no leaks on the test drive, replacing that 1 missing bolt tomorrow when I go into town. It's nice still having a fully working clutch hydraulic system after the engine is up to temp again haha.

20200611_174043.jpg

Hope you slathered plenty of antisieze on those exhaust bolts before reinstalling them!

Always, and didn't even look like Tin Man afterwards haha.

Replacing the hydroboost unit this week. Thought the power steering leak was just coming from the old hoses but the leak is still there, seems to be coming from the bottom of the unit. Area around all 3 hoses is nice and dry. Also have a quick trip up to Kansas happening next week. A friend is building a new flatbed with rolling tailboard for my truck in exchange for some major engine work on a generator of his.

Back