• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

C3500HD Tow pig

Nice find! On your tach not matching the supposed ratio, double check the glovebox codes to see if axle tag and original build match, and if so, check alternator pulley. if it has gasser pulley, that could be why its off.

On the diff oil, 80w90 is supposedly 3,000 mile change intervals, 75w140 syn. is 30K intervals, as theDana 80 is hard on oil. The NV4500s seem to not mind the Amsoil NV4500 approved oil, unless its super crisp and deserves the GM stuff, mine get Amsoil. if its not directly approved for it, dont run it.

Nice find! On your tach not matching the supposed ratio, double check the glovebox codes to see if axle tag and original build match, and if so, check alternator pulley. if it has gasser pulley, that could be why its off.

On the diff oil, 80w90 is supposedly 3,000 mile change intervals, 75w140 syn. is 30K intervals, as theDana 80 is hard on oil. The NV4500s seem to not mind the Amsoil NV4500 approved oil, unless its super crisp and deserves the GM stuff, mine get Amsoil. if its not directly approved for it, dont run it.

It's got 5.13 axle gears, rpm's match for the speed/math. Rear axle must have been rebuilt at some point since the tag on the diff cover bolt says 4.63. The fact that they were running 245/70/19.5"s on 1 hub and 225/70/19.5"s on the other hub probably lead to the rebuild. Amsoil in the engine/trans/axle and the next engine oil change will get the taller Baldwin B7 filter to increase capacity to 8 quarts. Eventually will get a bypass filter as well.

Hitch rails are now completely mounted/secured leaving just trimming the rear of the flatbed for clearance with the trailer and wiring in the brake controller. Gooseneck trailer has to be moved before the 1st and it needs the new spindle welded in also.

Bed corners trimmed. My trailer has a short gooseneck on it so they needed to be trimmed some for clearance. Let me be clear that the bed is not going to stay this way but it will work for now.

20191227_133501.jpg

Years ago, My brother was moving back to Montana from Grass Valley Cali. I had drove over in My 65 Ford 1/2 ton pulling a 3/4 ton Chevy pickup box trailer. Loaded the heavy stuff on the trailer, lighter stuff in the pickup bed. My brother had a smaller pickup and a two motorcycle trailer loaded down, then an 80s Camaro bringing up the rear.
His wife was driving the smaller pickup, My son that was still in high school was driving the camaro, I was switching between the ford and My brothers Harley.
We had stopped someplace for fuel and I walked out a ways for a smoke, looking back on everything, I told My brother it looks like a floating menagerie, the name stuck. :p 🤣

Added some E track to tie down cargo and began the first test fit with the gin pole legs. Lift pump went out on me so replaced the OPS and installed a Walbro FRB-5 (been redesigned, rated for 10psi). Plugged into the stock harness it wasn't kicking on so temporarily ran the pump power directly off the battery.

20200104_172204.jpg20200104_172217.jpg

Certainly took long enough to get back to it, the electrical junction box under the bed is now wired in. Not difficult to do just been busy with other stuff and the trailer move. Next is the brake controller then to do some work on the trailer.

Had a repair pop up, engine oil cooler lines were beginning to mark their territory so figured replace them with the cooler before the split and take the engine with em. Used Leroy's replacement style hoses/cooler. Hadn't noticed before but the truck has a power steering cooler as well, far driver side the tall/skinny one.

20200126_145238.jpg

Had a repair pop up, engine oil cooler lines were beginning to mark their territory so figured replace them with the cooler before the split and take the engine with em. Used Leroy's replacement style hoses/cooler. Hadn't noticed before but the truck has a power steering cooler as well, far driver side the tall/skinny one.

View attachment 59322

Red,

Nice white pretty mountain range in the distance, looks like you all get a little snow there.

You probably already told us, will You be running an electric winch or a PTO unit ?

For the bed winch? I'd rather have a PTO but that won't happen for at least awhile. Going to use that little 4500 lb mile marker winch in the meantime. The idea has crossed my mind to move the Holmes 500 wrecker to this truck since it has a much stronger frame to handle it.

Red,

Nice white pretty mountain range in the distance, looks like you all get a little snow there.

Varies from year/year for how much snow. There had been a few inches on the ground before it rained on saturday. Before the rain this truck had a difficult time getting up my friends driveway, not a chance of getting to the barn or higher where the trailer is parked hahaha. Truck has basically steer tires all the way around. Some years it's a few feet deep in the valley's, others like this year.

Hooray the auxiliary fuse block is wired in. Set up it's + through a relay so the whole thing is only powered when the ignition is on. Lift pump and the brake controller are powered through it. Took most of today since I was being picky about wire routing/loom but it's cleaner and works like it's supposed to.

20200208_160207.jpg20200208_160402.jpg

Aux fuel tank is now plumbed in and serves as the main fill spot. Fuel runs from aux tank through a water separator/22 micron filter then into the stock tank. 1 week so far, seems to be working right. Vent from the stock tank is plumbed into the top of the aux tank as well.

Got to start on the gin poles today, wanting to finish over the weekend. Used some 6" 13lb/ft C channel as the base crossmember for the legs, going to use another piece for the winch mount and chain anchors towards the front of the bed. Tacked the mounts 3" in from the crossmember ends as initially planned, but might move them further out to the edges instead. The 6" C channel sits almost at the end of the truck frame.

20200214_122220.jpg

Spent today mostly just working on the poles and their mounts. Took the steel wire brush to both upper poles so they could fully slide into the lowers. Moved the generator and the compressor to the service trailer as well. Onto the lower snatch block and winch mount

20200215_142758.jpg20200215_143411.jpg20200215_143420.jpg20200215_160301.jpg20200215_162356.jpg20200215_162844.jpg

Went on a fuel run today, bunch of 30+ year old diesel fuel that I've been running for awhile.

HD makes a solid tow rig up to 60mph, cruised at 55mph for most of the trip. Total weight about 18-20k.

Mentioned it before but the factory GM turbo really does make a decent exhaust brake hahaha. Friend of mine commented about how I never seemed to touch the brakes going down some hills (eastern side of loop 215 and coming down Interstate 15 just north of Lehi).

20200228_162514.jpg20200228_162525.jpg20200228_173035.jpg

Interesting, turns out there's more on the trailer than I thought haha. Combined weight of the truck/trailer/cargo, just under 24,000 lbs. So the trailer is overloaded and that needs to be dealt with.

However that impresses me with the HD to be loaded as it is and handle it well.

Cleaned up most of the old wiring harness at the rear of the truck and tied the tow light harness up more outta sight.

20200229_182239.jpg

Back