• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The burn anything project

royunion

Reaction score
I am seeking someone to recommend or who knows of a reputable place I can ship my db2 12 volt converted 5079 for bench testing who will provide me a report and not charge as much as the labor costs to rebuild the thing.

The 5079 DB2 is a 24 volt initially artic kit type of the 4911 for turbo 6.5's

I don't want it torn down because some places have been known to replace the hardened internals with the standard or older version db2 internals destroying the ability run almost every fuel.

Anyone know of a reputable that can bench test only and provide a report??

Try Quadstar tuning. If they dont have the capability they will know who does.
They now are a vendor on this forum and can be found on the banner that keeps changing at the top of the page.

The is a good reason most reputable shops are going to quote you book labor and parts + seals to rebuild it. It is dangerous to spin a pump and you actually have to physically put your hands on the pump to properly set it up while bringing the RPM up above the light load advance on a DB2. You cant properly set it up at idle RPM on the stand. If it grenades, it hurts when pieces hit you...and that's why it needs gone through first.

The is a good reason most reputable shops are going to quote you book labor and parts + seals to rebuild it. It is dangerous to spin a pump and you actually have to physically put your hands on the pump to properly set it up while bringing the RPM up above the light load advance on a DB2. You cant properly set it up at idle RPM on the stand. If it grenades, it hurts when pieces hit you...and that's why it needs gone through first.

OK . . . the shop I worked with would spin them up all the time on the Hartridge ( http://www.hartridge.com/products/ ) but the owner was a certified Stanadyne rebuilder shop and could bring up RPM gradually and knew if there was noise that was weird, he would shut it down. He had a lot of Military Artic setup pumps (DB2) come in and would buy them from customers for the internal parts alone.

Besides I do not want to end up like Leroy Diesel did in this thread https://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/mechanical-pump-conversion.10144/ where my Artic Internals get stolen.

He closed doors and retired so it looks like I will just tear it down and rebuild it myself even though it is a military pump with a 2012 date on it - that I suspect was just swapped out or taken off an engine retired and the 5079 is rare and sought after because it is a DB2 that can run almost any fuel for the 6.5 Turbo Diesel

Last edited:
OK . . . the shop I worked with would spin them up all the time on the Hartridge ( http://www.hartridge.com/products/ ) but the owner was a certified Stanadyne rebuilder shop and could bring up RPM gradually and knew if there was noise that was weird, he would shut it down. He had a lot of Military Artic setup pumps (DB2) come in and would buy them from customers for the internal parts alone.

Besides I do not want to end up like Leroy Diesel did in this thread https://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/mechanical-pump-conversion.10144/ where my Artic Internals get stolen.

He closed doors and retired so it looks like I will just tear it down and rebuild it myself even though it is a military pump with a 2012 date on it - that I suspect was just swapped out or taken off an engine retired and the 5079 is rare and sought after because it is a DB2 that can run almost any fuel for the 6.5 Turbo Diesel
I began reading in that thread and almost started ticking the LIKE button on the posts. LOL From 2009. LOL

I began reading in that thread and almost started ticking the LIKE button on the posts. LOL From 2009. LOL

That thread made me pause and saved my bacon... as I came across a seller on ebay "American quality" who had a 12 volt cold start solenoid - but the listing said new at one point and used at another and said 12 volt in the title and then 12 volt and 24 volt in the description.

Then it appeared he offered testing service as he had an IP sale he claimed he had tested. So I wrote to ask if he test mine - and he said he do a teardown and inspection for $275 - which was more than his rebuild which was more than his $266 rebuild service.

Teardown to steal my parts - really I started wondering was this the guy from 2009??

He would not state if he had a bench tester, and when I wrote "never mind I will someone who does" he turned into a belligerent monster name calling and the like. I will forward that thread ID to eBay for analysis.

Then I realized my answer has been in my mind all the time to just take my pump to a Stanadyne authorized rebuilder who will likely spin it up and let me watch the test for a nominal fee and may be able to give an appointment to do so.

In thirty years my buddy said he never had one "grenade" and just said " why are you asking those fly by night rebuilders for anything - just go to an authorized dealer rebuilder who you know will stand behind the product and any work they do like Stanadyne requires them to."

My buddy would let customers watch as he tore them down and rebuilt or repaired what he found if they wanted.

No more fly by night or uncertified operators rebuilders for me

@royunion just curious if you use of the word "grenade" and the sentence around it is targeted at us?

@quadstar87 "grenade" is reference to your depiction that an unknown IP could burst on a test bench and my buddy told me he had not seen or heard of any such thing. As to the sentences around it - was only realization with example to deal with Stanadyne by proxy only for me in this case. The guy on eBay as "americanquality7" has one of his latest negative feedbacks about shipping a different db2 than promised - and recently I got a 12*volt cold start solenoid with no positive pigtail that was direct continuity only and useless unless I crack off the plastic and find the other end of the coil.

So I am leery of all aftermarket sellers other than Stanadyne certified

Last edited:
Just happened in the past 2 weeks to one of our competitors we were chatting with. And they have more years under their belt than your buddy+ Stanadyne & Bosch certifications. We won't even rebuild your pump currently....was just giving some insight into why you get the answers you do.

Just happened in the past 2 weeks to one of our competitors we were chatting with. And they have more years under their belt than your buddy+ Stanadyne & Bosch certifications. We won't even rebuild your pump currently....was just giving some insight into why you get the answers you do.

Well - he had 30 years - and never had one "grenade" - he had a few seize If you are speaking of "we" meaning your company, I did not see on your website where you rebuild IP's at all.

Most places do not rebuild the 5079 - because they cannot get the Artic parts unless they a Stanadyne Authorized and Certified repair and rebuild shop - and then they are expensive parts to get. That is why I had to be crazy to even consider sending out to anyone mp IP where I cannot see it and what is being done to it.

There only one I have seen laterly rebuilt for sale is for almost $1,600 new on ebay. and I saw one rebuilt for $1,000

Pumps came into the shop all the time with owners claiming they were "upgraded" et cetera and that is why the owner would tear them down right in front of the customer and usually had to show the a part number indicating they were told a big lie.

The 5079 is superseded by the 6282. This is a tough mechanical IP that could even take straight gasoline for a short period, and it runs any fuel of the diesel like oils from jet fuel to a gasoline motor oil mix without damage

I am old enough to remember the Diamond T which also could run on almost any fuel - off course all fuel and gasoline was "leaded" and had lubricating properties - but my IP will come as close as possible today to the same for the 6.5 turbo diesel.

Stanadyne training is such that one knows how to build and rebuild IP's properly and that is why I had to be crazy to even consider any aftermarket vendor at all

If your competitor had a pump "grenade" (i.e burst) on a test stand - I will believe it when I see the parts and hear it first hand from them

Other than the solenoids, the only difference between the 4911 and 5079 are a few parts in the transfer pump. The governor thrust washer, and the metering valve, That's it. All of which are available from stanadyne. So getting parts for a 5079 rebuild Is no problem for a stanadyne fuel shop to get. If you want the part numbers I have the spec sheets for the 5079 in a PDF file.

Just go on stanadyne's website and search for the closest certified fuel shop in your area. They should be able to work with you.

Other than the solenoids, the only difference between the 4911 and 5079 are a few parts in the transfer pump. The governor thrust washer, and the metering valve, That's it. All of which are available from stanadyne. So getting parts for a 5079 rebuild Is no problem for a stanadyne fuel shop to get. If you want the part numbers I have the spec sheets for the 5079 in a PDF file.

Just go on stanadyne's website and search for the closest certified fuel shop in your area. They should be able to work with you.

I would be very grateful for that 5079 spec PDF. Can it be attached to PM??

I had access to all that until the shop owner closed the door and retired we both did.

Stanadyne does not sell hard parts - pretty much anything to non dealers so aftermarket rebuilder shops have to buy aftermarket parts usually.

The 4911 and 5079 are functionally the sane but those transfer pump parts are the heart of the issue called the arctic conversion. It has been addressed before here. https://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/t...art-number-of-the-db2-for-the-93-6-5td.27323/

Those arctic parts are what would disappear out of my pump if I sent it to the wrong place.

Here is a study on the issue http://www.motormayhem.net/wp-uploads/2009/10/QL-xdYbyhmR.pdf

I can't attach the file PM it's too big. But if you PM me your email I can send it that way.

I'm just a mechanic, but I can get any stanadyne part through my distributor. Even the artic parts for the 5079. Like I said search for you local certified fuel shop. They can get all the right parts for your pump.

PM sent

Yes Stanadyne has relaxed who distributors can sell to as the DB2 and DS4 are now dead end of life products pretty much

People always ask me why I religiously use my own 2 stroke oil based lubricity and performance enhancement formula and the study on the issue http://www.motormayhem.net/wp-uploads/2009/10/QL-xdYbyhmR.pdf shows why

Last edited:
Back