• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Spur of the moment Road Trip with the Burb. Rescued my 88 year old 2nd Cousin in northern UT when her car kaputed.
Took her to New Mexico to join her son; went over the mountains and down to Benson AZ to see Ted (635) and add some pretty stuff to his Gasser Burb; PHX to see mother-in-law and now for a stop in Flagstaff waiting on Ted to linkup and take me home....
View attachment 57576View attachment 57578

RIP 1999 Suburban. Taken out in a left turn, T-Boned by a Jeep Patriot driven by a 20ish year old who doesn't know what a red light is. Spun me 100 degrees and ruined a beautiful day. I'm sure the gal's insurance company will not want to pay for the cost to replace the Fender, Flare, Inner Fender, Bumper, Bumper Filler, Valance, washer fluid tank, radiator, hub, ball joints, upper and lower control arms, CV half-shaft, tie-rods....
View attachment 57581

If that’s just washer fluid and not oil, see what the insurance company will sell it back to you for. I may be interested. You can easily pick up a clean blue fender and inner fender at a SoCal boneyard. Tie rods, CV axles and other stuff are cheap. The hard to find will be be bumper, but you can bend that back and with patience I can find another.

If that’s just washer fluid and not oil, see what the insurance company will sell it back to you for. I may be interested. You can easily pick up a clean blue fender and inner fender at a SoCal boneyard. Tie rods, CV axles and other stuff are cheap. The hard to find will be be bumper, but you can bend that back and with patience I can find another.
Oil is still full up to the mark where I checked it the night before. So it is almost all Radiator fluid and maybe washer fluid. Seems a 'Rube Goldberg' effect may have damaged the overflow tank. Jeep hits side, shockwave dislodged passenger battery, battery hit air cleaner (disconnecting it from turbo in the process) and the air cleaner damaged the over flow tank BUT, that's a lot of fluid for just the overflow tank. Jacked it up but couldn't do anything to ascertain radiator damage because you weren't allowed to unscrew or unbolt anything in the impound yard. Please don't start with the 'I woulda....'
I did pull the ECM though...no screws and no bolts.
While it was jacked up I got another shot underneath and noted that the front differential housing is busted (sounds like my Pickup).
So, I'm just going to walk away. If insurance will allow it to be sold, I'll give BigT the first crack. All I'd ask is that 635 get to swap front seats (his are 60/40 bench), have the center console and driver's side A Pillar plastic molding. Regardless of who wants it, you get to dither with the insurance company over price and transport. I'm out of it.

IMG_1627.jpg
I think the torque applied to the lower control arm by the tire being folded up and back over it stressed the mount at the frame which is shared by the front differential. That and the attempt to push Half Shaft out the passenger side...another recall to the issues with the Pick-Up.

Last edited:
Oil is still full up to the mark where I checked it the night before. So it is almost all Radiator fluid and maybe washer fluid. Seems a 'Rube Goldberg' effect may have damaged the overflow tank. Jeep hits side, shockwave dislodged passenger battery, battery hit air cleaner (disconnecting it from turbo in the process) and the air cleaner damaged the over flow tank BUT, that's a lot of fluid for just the overflow tank. Jacked it up but couldn't do anything to ascertain radiator damage because you weren't allowed to unscrew or unbolt anything in the impound yard. Please don't start with the 'I woulda....'
While it was jacked up I got another shot underneath and noted that the front differential housing is busted (sounds like my Pickup).
So, I'm just going to walk away. If insurance will allow it to be sold, I'll give BigT the first crack. All I'd ask is that 635 get to swap front seats (his are 60/40 bench), have the center console and driver's side A Pillar plastic molding. Regardless of who wants it, you get to dither with the insurance company over price and transport. I'm out of it.

View attachment 57610
I think the torque applied to the lower control arm by the tire being folded up and back over it stressed the mount at the frame which is shared by the front differential. That and the attempt to push Half Shaft out the passenger side...another recall to the issues with the Pick-Up.

I'm getting ready to do my yard and trying to get my son's '94 Suburban and '73 Bronco out of there, so I can't take on another hulk that will sit in my backyard for another couple years. I really just want the hood, but I can find that at any boneyard and my current is fine, just needs paint.

Sorry you were so jinxed on your 6.5s, including this Suburban. They really are functional vehicles.

View attachment 57610
Generally, an Insurance Company will payout 80% of the loss and let you keep the vehicle.

Generally, an Insurance Company will payout 80% of the loss and let you keep the vehicle.
Thanks, that's what I have my fingers crossed for.

I figure I can have about just about everything out of it (and old stuff back in it) minus the motor in about three hours...give or take an hour.
Already have a plan of attack to get most of the upgrades in the signature block off of it. Includes the LED interior lights.

Drag it on to a trailer, move it to a local vacant lot, strip it while on the trailer (after calling the police to let them know what I'm up to and where I am). Schelp the hulk to a local Flagstaff Pick A Part yard and it to the curb.

Replaced the driver’s side passenger door. Original door had developed a rust bubble from the inside. Found a same color door at a pick a part boneyard. New hinge pins and bushings. Door lock actuator was not working and still not working on new door. Both actuators had broken loose from their riverts; current one bolted in.DFCA2DBA-A6CE-4D06-B256-8EB0B59E5110.jpeg379771EE-9437-40EF-BB97-EC5A01F0CF68.jpegEC092D9C-E0FC-4F54-84EF-669DA4B3B0CE.jpeg

thought i'd start this thread with... What did i do...
replaced the door roller hinge thingy....
went from this:

to this:

still creaks when i open the door but i will straighten it out.
couldn't figure out how to drive the pin all the way.
also got this in the mail:

hard to see at night:

but i will get pics when the sun comes up.

hope you like the thread.......
Where to purchase that pin, I need to fix mine. It is just about same amount of bend, spring popped out, the door likes to swing too hard without it

Where to purchase that pin, I need to fix mine. It is just about same amount of bend, spring popped out, the door likes to swing too hard without it
got it from o'rileys. can't remember the details about it. it was a while back.
why not get the new kit that was posted about?

Loaned out the K3500 yesterday to a for many years friend. He had about 120 miles to do hauling a fifth weeeel dump trailer. Later in the afternoon He called, said the temp was running warm. told him dont worry about it. He made it back, truck runs fine, He said he shut down the A/C and temps came back down quite a bit. He gave Me 200 bucks for the use of the truck. I refused to take the money until His wifey jumped My crap for not taking the money. LOL
I immediately got on kennedy Diesel and now have a lower temp fan clutch on its way. we shall see what that does for its hot tempered disposition. LOLOLOL

Prestone level and oil color are unchanged from before the trip, guess I dodged the boooolitt this time. New fan clutch I hope will make enough difference so it dont climb above the 200 mark from now on. LOL

Fan clutch arrived yesterday. Got that installed then helped the grand daughter install a new heat shield in Her treagor portable smoker/cooker, got done with that just in time to receive a big box of Triumph Parts~N~Pieces. NEXT. LOL

ordered urethane upper A-arm bushings. figured that would last longer than 26 years like the rubber ones did. damn the leaking oil.....
installed the new multi switch but still no cruise control. going to plan B.

Back