• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Project White Knight

tanman_2006

Just a farm kid...
Reaction score
I guess this truck has officially been taken off the chopping block. I bought it 2yrs ago for the 110k mile optimizer with paper work. I never did anything but fire it up and hop pasture to pasture as an extra for of transportation. When my duramax needed a heart the little truck drug the big pig to the shop. In the months the duramax spent in icu the little 6.5 faithfully hauled fuel and tools field to field while I daily drove the ford edge. In 2yrs I put 700 miles on the truck and it never failed to fire right up.

At 330k on the chassis its not pretty but I can judge the book by its cover... Issues were:

Spectre hot air intake
Junk turbo master rig
Driver side leaf spring welded together at the rear eyelet
Miss matched front tires
Steering wheel 1/4 yurn off and pulling hard
Leaked alot of oil due to a non working cdr system
And well.... Its all stock lol

I did the idler, pitman, and fair spare tires put on the rear and the 50% tread rears moved to the front back in October. And I continued to putter around reliably.

This week I installed new 3500# rear leaf springs (yeah they are stiff!). A new set of 265/75R16 Treadwright M/T Claws on the rear. Valvoline 15/40 and a wix XP duramax filter. New fuel filter. Installed one of my K47 air boxes and plumbing.

This truck saved my @$$ and I figure I will return the favor. I has been my Knight in not so shining armor.20181213_155729.jpg20181213_155738.jpgSnapchat-1151455660.jpgSnapchat-2090336647.jpg

I’m also curious about what everybody else is using for pins and bushings. I don’t remember the brand but The set that I got from Napa didn’t last long. The brass was way to soft for any kind of life span. I need to change my drivers door pins and bushings again.

I used a pair of Dorman kits from O'Reilly's for the front doors of my Burb. The one thing that I did do that I don't think any of you did, is that I let the scintered bronze (they are bronze, not brass) bushings soak in oil over night before install. The scintered bronze is microscopically porous and the oil will fill the pore spaces via capillary action. This provides critical lubrication between the steel pin and the bronze bushing, and also enables any oil put on the pins as routine maintenance later to "soak" into the bushings better.

I use grease and pile in on top of the bushings. I add more every year or more. Unlike the clean pic above my hinges are a piled on grease mess.

I guess this truck has officially been taken off the chopping block. I bought it 2yrs ago for the 110k mile optimizer with paper work. I never did anything but fire it up and hop pasture to pasture as an extra for of transportation. When my duramax needed a heart the little truck drug the big pig to the shop. In the months the duramax spent in icu the little 6.5 faithfully hauled fuel and tools field to field while I daily drove the ford edge. In 2yrs I put 700 miles on the truck and it never failed to fire right up.

At 330k on the chassis its not pretty but I can judge the book by its cover... Issues were:

Spectre hot air intake
Junk turbo master rig
Driver side leaf spring welded together at the rear eyelet
Miss matched front tires
Steering wheel 1/4 yurn off and pulling hard
Leaked alot of oil due to a non working cdr system
And well.... Its all stock lol

I did the idler, pitman, and fair spare tires put on the rear and the 50% tread rears moved to the front back in October. And I continued to putter around reliably.

This week I installed new 3500# rear leaf springs (yeah they are stiff!). A new set of 265/75R16 Treadwright M/T Claws on the rear. Valvoline 15/40 and a wix XP duramax filter. New fuel filter. Installed one of my K47 air boxes and plumbing.

This truck saved my @$$ and I figure I will return the favor. I has been my Knight in not so shining armor.View attachment 54902View attachment 54903View attachment 54904View attachment 54905
I had 3500 springs on the old 1989 C2500 The truck weighed 8900 on a daily basis. Often more. It never looked like it had anything in it. Even the time I had 2 6.5 complete engines in the back Or 40 cases of shotgun shells in addition to my regular supply of tools

Back