• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Some old Engines Sitting Around

cornemuse

Reaction score
I posted before about my Blazer 6.2 with blown head gaskets. No one around here wants to mess with "pre 1995" diesels.
I am 71 years old do not want to major repair/swap motors anymore.
I have an '84 6.2 that was good when removed from (84 suburban) the car. Its been sitting on the back porch for 15 years, I removed the glow plugs for another motor, 10-12 years ago. It was a strong motor with under 200,000 mi.
What is the consensus on using it in the Blazer??

I also have an '82 pu with an '84 motor.
Same as above, strong & a bit less miles, I'm sure if I went down & jump-started it, it would run ok.
I parked it when I got the Blazer, Blazer registration was 1/3 cost of commercial (truck), insurance less also.
What about using this one as is into the Blazer??

I'm just too old for this sort of activity anymore!

-corne-

Assuming you are not talking about opening it up and re assembly after checking everything out...

Sitting that long my concern comes to everything being dry and maybe rusty.
When you build an engine the lube used on bearings is 40% is it going to be started in a week or longer. In decade it isn’t are the bearings completely dry or rusty, even in the dry southwest, they are. So running a pre oiler is a flat requirement. Pre oil it and then oh so slowly turn it over while running the preoiler non stop. Infact I would use atf at first for the detergent it has and being about 10 weight.

Then when atf gets onto seals, it soaks in and can cause a little swelling. Good, so needed for the seals that have been dry since before Obama was President and we could afford to buy .22 rounds for fun.

You’ll need to run pure atf into the ip as well before hand turning engine over. Remove the fso and let the injectors get in On the good stuff too.

Before you put a new set of plugs in it, a shot of atf down the holes too.

Basically if you could dunk the engine in a pool of atf is my honest desire here- haha.

Still expect it to leak oil when you start running it, so a decision of fix leaks now vs later is forefront.

Waterpump seal is another one to think about.

And on long term standby- cosmoline in a spray can is your friend. 1 can of spray and 1 gallon can for brush should be on everyone’s shelf that keeps stuff. It’s not like it will go bad waiting for use...

I looked for a shop to look at the car, none of the ones I tried locally would work on any pre 1995 diesels.
Finally got a 'mobile' mechanic to look. Cooling system would NOT hold pressure, He found (eventually) the heater core inside cab was leaking. Leak ran forward to firewall and down into carpet. I have allus kept plastic mats over the factory carpeting and it was saturated (& rusty) under the mats. We/he found from underneath, a small wet spot in the floor-pan where it has finally rusted through. Car has allus used some coolant, just in the last few months gotten worse. Since the extreme heat wave here last few months, low 100's - high 90's, guess it just dried out before leaking through, , , , ,

Bypassed the heater core, holds pressure now. I'll drive it a week ot two, to check it. To make sure.

$85/hr. labor (one hours worth), turned out to be a real bargain.

-c-

Back