• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tire Reviews

We just recently replaced an 8 year-old set of General Grabber AT2 tires on the wife's truck. They had 72k on them and could probably have gone another 10k but the date code indicated they were 11 years old and I don't like running tires past 10 years. Our final opinion on them that they were the best damn tires we'd ever had. Drove that truck though everything from liquid mud on job sites to 36" of snow followed by 3 days of freezing rain on a cross country trip. Never got stuck, ever.

What did we replace them with? Why another set of course. When you find something that works perfectly for you why change?

I looked at these last night and they are a good looking tire, too. Does anyone have experience with these vs the BFG All Terrain T/A? The patterns are pretty similar and the price on these General Tires is much less than the BFG, from what I see online. I'll check our local dealer to see what they go for.

I looked at these last night and they are a good looking tire, too. Does anyone have experience with these vs the BFG All Terrain T/A? The patterns are pretty similar and the price on these General Tires is much less than the BFG, from what I see online. I'll check our local dealer to see what they go for.
I had a set of BFG Commercial T/A Traction tires on my GMC that did not impress me at all. Traction in snow and mud was just barely "okay" when they were new, but rapidly went to "ha-ha, you're joking, right?" as they wore down. And they wore fast. I managed to get 30k out of them, but they had cords showing at that point. The tread pattern on those, back then, was almost identical to the General's, which is one reason why I bought them, as the Generals didn't come in an E load range for my truck. Considering that the commercial tires are using a harder compound I can't imagine what the mileage would be with the non-commercial variant. Those got replaced with a set of Firestone Transforce AT's that are not up to dealing with mud or soft ground, see the attached photos of what happens when a 10,000 lb truck meets grass on top of mud while hooking up a trailer, but which seem to be wearing a lot better.

Yeah, I was not having a fun day. It was resting on the pumpkin at this point.

Oh, and we pulled it out with the wife's Dakota and those General Grabber AT2's, so another point for them.

Has anyone used the Mickey Thompson Baja STZ? If so, how many miles did they last? The price seems reasonable and there is a rebate, now. The reviews I looked at on Amazon seem favorable, except for wet clay, but I've not seen anything on how many miles to kill them.

Had v bad experience with Mastercraft, got *mebbe 12k on two fronts. And just discovered a bulge in my (last) Goodyear, thats requiring emergency replacement. So, tho funding is elusive, I'm avoiding these low end.

After *much ado, many reviews read on 4 sites, and some sketchy customer svc, I've jumped into it.

Given my own parameters, I just ordered a pair of Toyo Open Country ATII tires in LT235/85R16 E @$358 out the door (2 tires). Load rated @120, its a *slightly larger diameter (gaining me over an inch of clearance-- always welcome)-- and will increase my confidence off-pavement.
Yet its mild-looking and warranteed to 50K. Doesn't *look as capable as it is reviewed and recommended: fine by me. I'm not going for look.

Yes, its a Japanese company-- tho mine are made in north GA. I examined *all the options, and this tire just fits me best. Its the same mold, same compound as the Nitto Terra Grappler (same parent company). Tho Price was less an issue, these make me smile-- for now. Grapplers not in my size.

[SO: the Hankook RW11s sounded wierd when explaining my choice, and are rarely warehoused in the SE-- (maybe try em later in the West, esp aftersome experience with the Toyo). Continental is sketchy. BFG KO2 is a bit too-aggressive and lower mileage, despite cost. Mich LTX Defender MS2 proved indefensible, as was their XPS; Cooper's trouble; GY?FknNope]

Suggest RV and trailer owners with Goodyear Marathon and/or Hi-Run tires check them closely. I had purchased a new set of each brand (235/80 R16 Load Range E) for my two axle 5th wheel, and had one of each brand mounted on same side. I prepared for a trip from TX to PA - at that time tires were less than two years old, had less than 2000 miles on them, tire pressure at start 75psi, and speeds not over 65mph. On the trip, at approximately 900 miles one of the Goodyear tires blew - steel belt separated, tread came off, and causing significant damage to the RV skin. I thought I must have run over something causing the blowout. Changed the tire and continued on. At approximately 100 miles down the road the second Goodyear blew. This tire came apart identical to the first one. I pulled into a truck/tire shop and had them assess the situation. They had no clue why the tires came apart in that manner. While replacing the two blown tires they checked the Hi-Run tires. They found that both of the treads were bowed and the steel belts were beginning to separate (several ends of steel belt strands had penetrated the tread). There was no unusual wear on the tread (which would lend itself to an alignment problem), and the trailer weight was well below the tire rating. I had the shop replace both those tires as well, and continued on. This event highlighted to me, even though you feel comfortable with your in-depth pre-trip inspection, it's vital to do cursory looks at critical points while traveling. On a side note, both the Marathon and Hi-Run tires were made in China, and if your tire is bowed and you're going to run your hand over the tread in an attempt to see if any wire is protruding, suggest you wear a glove.

Sorry to hear about the blowouts.
I actually had a blow while towing my camper some years back. I have found that with trailer tires, you have to use years, not mileage for a gauge. I have not had more than 4 years out of a trailer tire. Mileage was much like yours, probably under 2K. Plenty of tread left. But belts just separated.
I actually have Goodyear Marathons on my trailed right now. I will definitely check them close after reading this.
So, I change tires right at 4 year mark regardless of miles on them. All trailer tires SUCK!

There is a company here in my hometown l, Amerityre, does the tires that are kinda solid and kinda foam filled wierd combination that is heavier than normal air tire but not crazy heavy. I think their design is lighter than how my Hmmwv rim and tire combo is because of the internal bead lock/ runflat assembly.

I would like to get some of their magic for my camp trailer, just had a blow out on it this last trip a couple months ago.

Draw backs of heavier tire in my mind is mostly bearing life. Everybody talks a out how horrible tire weight is on mpg, and yes a Hummer may be a bad example or test bed. But I had same exact tires on aluminum rims without beadlock/ runflats and then with the 2 piece steel (like 4 wheelers use) with the extras inside. I don’t remember the total weight difference exactly, but steel together w/ internals weighs 160# each. There was ZERO difference in mpg. I guess if I did stop and start every 1/4 mile it would be, but I believe the added weight actually helps going down the freeway.

Back at the fuel company, we had a descent semi fleet- fifty something iirc, maybe 60? Anyways we tested the hell out of aluminum vs steel rims, and plenty of those rigs had 24 not 18 tires. The twin steer rigs actually run 12 on truck, 8 congear, and 12 trailer for a total of 32 tires. They look cool but don’t be near them on the road- pure methonal on those guys- Bad day possibilities. They saw ZERO difference when we could cut just over 100# from each tire. How does it not save fuel at over 1.5 tons less? Because then they load it with more fuel for the delivery to max weight each time. And almost no city driving obviously.

Point is heavier tires work like a flywheel keeping same speed movement better at speed. So I see no loss of mpg for tire weight-unless you do massive start stop, which most trailers don’t. So with an airless tire, no risk of blow out. The tire would have to simply get so old the tread comes off the casing. I haven’t priced those tires out in years, and honestly I tow so rare anymore and so light when I do now, that used lt tires can do it for me at $25 each from mom/pop tire stores

But if I were back to towing a descent amount, I would go with those filled tires. Note they hold a special patent way different than somid tires or foam filled. Way lighter than normal foam filled and they are balanced and able to be rebalanced at normal tire shops unlike foam filled or solid rubber crap that only belongs on forklifts.

I am in the process of replacing the tires on my dual axle, 21 foot, hunting camper before its voyage next week to deer camp. It does have ST205/75R14 Goodyear Marathons on it, the tires that were on it when we bought it years ago. We bought the camper on June 3, 2015, so I know the tires are over 3 years old or older. It is a 2004 camper so I don't have a clue how many times the original owners changed out the tires. I looked at the tires the other day and the tread is starting to separate and is cracked.

I learned a lesson back about 4 years ago about old camper tires. I was towing our old single axle camper back from deer camp in the spring when the tire on the left side exploded. I was on the interstate probably cruising a little more than I should have been. That tire torn up all kinds of sheet metal around the fender well. I limped a mile or so to an exit and got off there at a safe location. I put the spare tire on and limped on home hoping the spare would hold up. Truth be know I believe the spare tire was actually a car tire.

The tires I am looking at are made by Taskmaster Tire, (Contender TTT868). I don't know if they are worth a dime, but if they will last this deer season, next year I might take a look at a better tire. I know one thing they will be in much better condition than the Goodyear Marathons that are dry rotted.

What about Kenda Load Star trailer tires, you guys ever ran any of them. Northern Tool Sells them. Not sure how those would do on a camper?

Ok one last word and you guys can flame and fuss :mad: at me all you want because I know I am running on borrowed time with my 1999 Smith, 4 x 8 utility trailer. It has the 2 original tires on it that came on it in 1999.....:eek: Trailer weighs about 550 pounds empty if I remember correctly.

I mainly haul my riding mower and ATV on it. Oh year its the little trailer you have seen in my wood cutting adventure pictures, its hauled some pretty good loads of wood mostly off road though.

I am going to replace those tires soon, before I have a major failure.

I think my trailer originally came with Carlisle trailer tires. They looked pretty much like brand newby looking at the tread. But they get pretty hot supporting the heavy load thus causing the tread to separate.
As long as the tires are a "trailer tire" you should be good.

Back